Monday, November 2, 2015

So I really love pipe organ music--it is definitely my favorite type of music, in fact. Fairfield is home to a very old campus called "Goodwill-Hinkley" and it was, in olden days, a communal school and now it is partially owned by Kennebec Community College. At any rate, there is a chapel there called "The Moody Chapel" and it is home to quite an exquisite pipe organ. I took a picture of all the specs, etc, but I cannot find it. Rick Dostie, the organist at our church, played a recital there last week, and it was just amazing: The resonance and clarity of the organ is miraculous. Below is a photo of it--look at the stained glass and the pipes and the speaker--it is truly a work of art. He started with this piece by Bach--if you want to hear how beautiful it is (this link brings you to one played at University of Notre Dame) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiGJMkJAAnY


The school year is already one quarter over...can you believe it? The kids are very involved with their activities: Maira does dance on Fridays and swimming lessons on Mondays. Callum was playing flag football on Tuesdays, he has swimming lessons on Mondays, and, on Wednesdays, he has cub scouts. So far he is really loving being a Tiger Scout, and he has earned his first badge (bobcat) by memorizing the code and the creed and doing all kinds of other cute things. Some of his buddies from class are in his 'den' and this Wednesday we are meeting at the Fairfield fire station to tour around!

The kids love their friends, and they are making them in droves at school, childcare, lessons, etc. Now that Callum is getting a little older he is becoming aware of all the other boys who live on our road (or roads just around the corner, etc). We are giving him more freedom to go ride to his friends' homes, and, as well, they come knocking on our door. His friend Stephen is in his class this year, and he lives around the corner from us. His brother Brayden (third grade) usually comes by with him as well. They do legos and 'try' to wrestle (but I dont let them....too dangerous...ohmystars...) and play games like Hungry Hippos and Headbandz

So there we are. Moving along with lightning speed through the school year. I cant believe we are already into November. I have been feeling pretty well, although I definitely struggle with the transition of the seasons. And my eyes, suddenly, seem to be failing me! I have been having a lot of trouble seeing at night especially--not only when I drive, but also when I run--my depth perception is way off and I have trouble with shadows and glare...haha...guess I am getting old. I go to the eye doctor in a couple of weeks.....

1 comment:

Mee Mee said...

Thank you for the link to the Bach organ music. Absolutely Beautiful! As you know, I love organ music too. If you don't mind going on a date with your mother-in-law, could I go with you next time?
Callum is looking so grown up! He looks very handsome in his tiger uniform. I'm so glad he enjoys the scouts!!😍