Monday, May 17, 2010

Meanderings 61-Vitamins


Here are a few pictures of Callum playing with Lexi last Friday--Eric, Lexi, and Jackson came over for a little BBQ supper. Lexi is a couple months younger than little Callum. They enjoyed playing on the slide, dancing in the kitchen, and rolling around in cars in the driveway. Good times!

Lexi liked to push Callum down the slide. And Callum liked the extra speed.
Nothing like burgers on the charcoal grill! I dont know if you can tell from the photo, but Ms Amanda is starting to show a bit!!

Only one simple meandering today, but it was something I was wondering about this morning. I got to thinking about vitamins, and how funny it is that with hundreds of years now of medical technology, science has only been able to come up with SIX solitary vitamins. Only six. There's Vitamins A, B, C, D, E.....and K. What happened to F, G, H, I, and J? Are they vitamins that are still yet to be invented? Is science stuck on those five? Why did they stop with "E" and go right to "K?" Why didnt they just continue?

And, I mean, you've got 26 letters of the alphabet to contend with, so why did they have to get all cute with Vitamin B--all this B6 this, and B12 that...? Why didnt they just make all the "B" vitamins different vitamins then? That is a classic bureaucratic
thing to do--just like with exits on the highway, how you have exit 124A, B, C, and so on. I'm not doing an outline for a term paper here...I just want to take my freakin' vitamin.

And what inherently "makes" something a "vitamin?" By that, I mean to ask why something like "glucosamine" isnt NOT called "glucosamine," but, rather, a vitamin. And why not things like calcium, iron, etc? Maybe being known as vitamin status is like being canonized by the church, or inducted into the "Nutrition Hall of Fame" or something. Maybe glucosamine has to prove itself over the next 20 years or so....and then we'll forever know it as "Vitamin J" or something.

I like vitamins. Every morning when I take mine, I feel all awesome. I'm protected now...I took my vitamin....

what makes vit?

1 comment:

Ortiz said...

Jared, are you still taking Flinstone vitamins?