Friday, May 21, 2010

TRI-ing to get things in perspective....

As is always the case this time of year, things start spiraling out of control; May and June are always tremendously busy times of year (especially being a teacher!). I like the business though, since it makes the time go by fast, and it makes it real exciting. Here is what is going on!
  • Amanda and I are involved in the planning of Vacation Bible School at our church. Although it doesnt start til late June,, there is still a ton to do right now. Amanda is teaching an elementary class, and I somehow got cajoled into dressing up like either a "bee" (which is the theme of VBS 'zip, zap, and zoom for Jesus.....) or a clown. Or both. Or something. Someday, I swear I will do something NOT self deprecating....
  • Amanda's birthday is Monday. I wonder what she will get........
  • I am in full training mode for the triathlon I have coming up on June 6--it is the Bath "Y-Tri" which is the one I ran last year. I love training for triathlons--it is almost more fun than actually doing the races--but it is intense, and I am exhausted! Lots of biking and running and swimming. Yet, I still look like Grimace from McDonalds. Why?
  • Term Paper Season: The culminating experience for my seniors. And 8-10 page persuasive research paper. These are a BEAR to correct...especially because I save them to be done at the end of the year (can you say "carrot?") and I have to finish them in record time so the kids can graduate. When I first started, these papers would each take me about 40 minutes to correct. Now that I am such a "consummate professional," it isnt SOOOO bad....but it is still bad.....
  • As part of our church's "Board For Youth," I am undertaking the leading of our church youth group--there are lots of meetings between our Pastor and I.....
  • Graduation week: There is Baccalaureate, there is class night, and there is commencement at Colby College. June 9th, baby! (It is wicked late this year!!!) For the sixth year--in as many years as I have had the honor of teaching at WHS, I have been asked to write a graduation song for the seniors. I probably should start that. But it is hard to be inspired this year.
  • The conclusion of--without question--THE worst and saddest year in my professional life. Period.
In other news, Amanda is starting to show early this time around. You knew you werent going to escape some early belly pictures, right?


Glowing, I think!
Karl Andresen made us these beautiful Adirondack style chairs out of old pallets. Callum--who always prefers to be outside--enjoys sitting in the chairs eating cookies, saying hi to Bill across the street, and playing with his bubbles.....

4 comments:

JR said...

Hello Grimace!

Another triathlon, huh? That's awesome. And don't worry about your rotund shape. I've got another friend who does several a year and you'd never know it to look at him.

My advice: Just give everybody something between an A- and C+; don't let the preacherman touch you as often; and do a re-make of Lady Gaga (she's hip, I've been told).

Ortiz said...

When you do the triathilon do you tie a Joeseph's ham in front of your face?

Aunt june said...

Amanda looks wonderful and yes glowing!! Callum is so adorable!

Unknown said...

PICK UP PIE, SIR!