Monday, June 21, 2010

Happy Father's Day to me....

This past weekend was awesome, and I know it is only a harbinger of how fantastic the summer is going to be--having Amanda working part time means that every weekend is a long weekend, and every Wednesday is more time we can spend together as a family.

This past Saturday, I went to the men's breakfast at church in the morning, only to come home to be told to get ready for a surprise father's day trip: Amanda got Callum and I "father and son" fishing rods, and she purchased a season pass to Lake George Park in Canaan. It is a beautiful lake for swimming, fishing, canoeing, picnicking, and hiking, Also, she packed a picnic lunch for us to enjoy. We spent a good part of the day there eating and relaxing; I took Callum swimming while Amanda read one of her junky mysteries under a shady pine tree....

I cannot believe this kid has half of my genetic makeup. Look how skinny and small he is!


The water was a bit chilly, but very refreshing, as it was a HOT weekend. A very clear and clean lake....
After the lake, we trekked home, and Callum fell asleep. Since he was sleeping, I took the "long" way home, following what I know to be the route for the Trek Across Maine (which, obviously, I didnt ride this year). We caught up with some trekkers, and followed them almost to Colby.

Later that afternoon, after Callum got up, Amanda and Callum made their way over to Colby College--stop #2 for the Trek--to meet up with Uncle Jon and the rest of his "Charlie's Big Wheels" team (Charlies is a HUGE mega-car mall in Augusta). Callum immediately gravitated toward the "big wheel" they had on the quad.....look at the aggression in his face. He is ready to ride.... (for some reason I am now seeing that the picture is not here...I will work on getting it back)

Callum had a great time, and, below, can be seen summoning people to play catch with him....


Callum and Uncle Jon having fun....
Still later (as if our day wasnt full enough already) mee mee and grampy babysat so Sally and I could head into Freeport to LL Bean so we could get new hiking boots (I need them for my Katahdin trip tomorrow, since my old ones kept making me fall on Franconia....which I didnt even blog about). Also, we bought a new tent--the King Pine Dome tent. Check it out on line. It has a screen house, even!

Now I am off to rest up. Pastor Nielsen and I are headed up to Baxter State Park tomorrow and we are taking Katahdin (or Katahdin is taking us) on Wednesday.

3 comments:

Sally Piles said...

I'm glad that you had such a wonderful day, Jared! Callum and I enjoyed suprising you with it. The only thing missing was the fishing - Callum wants to know when you're going to take him.
Good luck tomorrow on Katahdin! Have a great time!

ortiz said...

Love that picture of Callum, that is deffinatley a Maine hat, too bad it was'nt plaid. I hope he eas loaded up with sun block!

Unknown said...

sounds like a fun day for they! i can't imagine how much funner it would be if you liked summer, even.