Tuesday, September 21, 2010

RIP Chelsea

Callum and Chelsea share a moment....

This is from Callum's first Thanksgiving; Chelsea was always around, and she always loved being with her family. A sweet dog.

My sister and brother-in-law, regrettably, had to put down their beloved dog Chelsea this evening. I dont think I've ever had to do anything in my life that has been more difficult than put an animal down--and it seems like many dear friends and family have been in this position as of late; friend Mike had to put down his dog Burt, and our dear neighbors Cindy and Dana had to put down Toby, their Yorkie, last week. The English nerd in me is led to quote Claudius, from Act 4 of Hamlet: "Oh Gertrude....when sorrows come they come not in single spies but in battalions."

Chelsea was a dear dog who was about as loving and loyal to her masters as I have ever seen a dog be. I always joked that she didnt really like me at all, since all she wanted was to be with my sister or Bob (who is universally loved by all things little--babies, cats, American Eskimos, etc). But secretly I know she had a special place in her heart for her "Uncle Jared." We had some good games of chase, sock, and tug-of war with her dragon and her crab. And I'll never forget when Kris and Anthony got her...she was so small she could sit in your hand.....and when they brought her down to our place in Rochester NH, she pooped and peed on my kitchen floor a few times since Anthony and I were being too rowdy in our drink inspired mood, and she became overtaken with fear.

We had to put down our cat, Thomas, a few years ago now, and I can only imagine the feelings of sorrow, guilt, and pain of having to put down a pet like that. Before Thomas left us, Chelsea and Thomas were accomplishing what, in the animal world, was the equivalent of peace in the Middle East: They were not only "co-existing," but becoming friends. Cat and dog. Just like that. Chelsea used to really taunt the heck out of Thomas, egging him on to play with her. And Thomas, in his gentlemanly ways, would just get up, walk two feet away, and lie down again in utter arrogance. But soon they both came around, and Chelsea really loved her Thomas.

It will be weird going to CT and not hearing Chelsea bark incessantly each time we pull into their driveway, close a car door, and just generally walk around the house. And it will be strange not to have to put the bathroom trash on top of the toilet to keep her out of it each time the Favry's visit Maine--Chelsea's favorite thing in all the world was to abscond with used tissues and run around the house with them.

We got to see Chelsea for the last time this past weekend, and she just was not the dog we always knew; she is definitely in a better place now. It was strange: This past weekend, Chelsea was affectionate toward me (for the first time I can ever remember) almost as if she were saying goodbye. She came right up to me, let me pet her, and we had a nice time. Our thoughts go out to Kris and Anthony as they deal with their loss.

6 comments:

Auntie KK said...

She was the best dog in the world, we miss her so much already!!!!

Nannie said...

Nice tribute to Chelsea,

she will be missed

funny, I was jut looking at my photos the other day and have one of my Chelsea Girl and Thomas P. Cat

I am so glad I have one of them together.

Dad said...

I will miss Chelsea very much.Everytime I went down to Ct., I used to bring her munchkins, she loved them. Every time I went home like clock work she would jump in my truck and roam around like she was looking for a bomb, then jump out like she was giving me the OK.Sitting at my computer, I have a picture of Thomas and Chelsea sitting at the front door. They were both very special pets.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Auntie KK said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lynne said...

George and I and everyone in N.J. want to say how sorry we are about Chelsea. We have all had to do this at one time and it's not easy. Our thoughts are with you.