Thursday, September 16, 2010

What are you reading?

wearing grampy's shoes around the house......

our new camera has this cool feature where you can take panoramic pictures. This one is creepy as heck (look at my head) but you get the idea. For when we go to Acadia and such....
Callum has this thing that when he gets up from a nap, or is upstairs and is going to come down, where he likes to bring "all friends" downstairs. He hands you ALL the friends in his crib, naming each one specifically while he hands them to you, and then he says "daddy hold you now." He uses "you" instead of "me." Here, he has mee mee hold you and his friends....

Callum and I (and mommy too) had a fantastic summer of books--Callum and I would ride to the library at least twice a week (and these visits would almost always coincide with a trip to Hillman's for an "Elmo," tiger, lady, or bear cookie). By summer's end, both the library staff and the Hillman's employees knew us by name, and they knew why we were there.

As I was packing for CT tonight (we are headed down for the weekend!) I was getting together some of Callum's books, and I felt bad because ever since school started I realize I haven't really been reading with him like I did over the summer. I'd like that to change. So that is a goal. We had some great reads this summer, and he got to really love looking around the library shelves.

Callum's favorite author, by far, has to be Chris Van Duesen, who wrote the "Magee" books as well as "The Circus Ship." He is a Maine author and he has fantastic illustrations. Callum's other favorite books of all time? "Burt Dow: Deep Water Man," "Goodnight Moon," anything involving Thomas the Train, and "The Little Red Caboose."

If you are looking for something fun to read, I have to say I, too, had a great summer of books, and the highlights are definitely:

LOST CITY by Clive Cussler-A fast paced adventure and suspense story taking place mostly under a glacier and 4 miles beneath the ocean. Totally riddled with grammatical and stylistic errors, but a fast paced read

TINKERS by I forget-My friend Muriel loaned this to me. I have had dreams about this book...that is how powerful the writing and imagery is. It won the Pulitzer back in March, which usually means jack squat. But this is some of the best WRITING I have ever seen. Seriously. The whole book is like a poem

Right now, I am trying to get through THE GREAT GATSBY because, for one, it is the "great American Novel," and, number two, when Mrs. Mooney had us read it in tenth grade I thought it sucked and I didnt read it. I want to see what all the buzz is about

3 comments:

sally piles said...

I didn't have a very good summer of reading. I only read ONE book! It was kind of my summer of knitting though which was refreshing. I'm finishing up my half-done projects!

Ortiz said...

My favorite reading of the summer was the menu of Juniors restaurant at Foxwoods. I read it at least once a week thinking about what I will order next visit.

JR said...

You guys are great parents.
Summer reading: A collection of essays from David Foster Wallace that I first read back in high school. It all went right over my head then, but now it's hilarious and brilliant on several levels. You also gotta read "F my life." It's written by three french 20-somethings and is goddang funny!