Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010 Part II

Another Thanksgiving tradition we have is that of the parade. This was the first year Callum and Amanda were able to watch the whole parade, and they enjoyed it very much. Where was I, you might ask? Well, it just so happens that on Thanksgiving morning, when it was 29 degrees out at 8AM, I was on my bike en route to Winslow High School to participate in the "Run til the Turkey's Done" annual 5K to benefit the "Derek Zoolander Center for Kids Who Can't Read Good and Want to Do Other Things Good Too." So I rode my bike AND THEN raced my personal best 5K to date (26:31....but I am still working hard). Our good friend Dave joined the fun, as he is getting back into running as well. I would post pictures of that, but, like, there was no one there to take photos of me, since Amanda was watching the parade.

After showering, I too headed over to BaBa's house just in time to see Callum and Bears open up their "pre Christmas Christmas present." This, for Emma, included a bracelet making kit (I am still waiting, Emma!) and for Callum, included the "Elf on the shelf" gimmick that tricks kids into behaving because the "elf" is watching them all day, telling Santa about all the bad stuff they do. If I were a kid--and I am--I would be scared enough at the fact that there was a creepy little made-in-china elf staring at me with a sardonic grin all day....AND that he hides on me each and every day JUST so he can do it all again the next day. But that is just me. Anyway, here are Amanda and Emma opening their crap....



We had fun together--me, Callum, and Emma. I can't believe I am saying this, but I think at this point in time Emma likes me more than BaBa does.....and keep in mind Emma did not speak to me for the first 5 years of her life! Yeah. BaBa was not a big fan of me this past week.
Here's me and SteveeCee. SteveeCee is Michelle's husband, and he is 'the man." He's totally an East Coast kid with a West Coast frame of mind that is totally diggin freak nasty without a shovel....he be droppin rhymes like wizzak and he's dangerous like crizzak. In short, he is where hip hop lives. This is a rare picture of Steve WITHOUT an Amstel Light in hand (editor's note: It was actually in his jacket, as I would find out later, as he cracked one open after our hike to the river). Lots of people say Steve and I have a lot in common and that, in many ways, we are 'the same person.' I dont know.
Here we are getting ready for a post-dinner meander through grandpop's "back 40." Grandpop sits on a fantastic piece of land that abuts some beautiful forest with a secret lake and a pretty neat river. Led by SteveeCee, we bushwacked our way through crunchy-earthed beech forests and evergreen groves until we arrived at the river. Here, like I mentioned before, Steve cracked open his Amstel Light, and proceeded to tell Michelle how he wished none of us were there with him, so they could have sweet love time together. HA HA! And for all you anonymous idiots out there, yes we were cloaked in hunter's orange. Up in Maine, Thanksgiving Day is one of the biggest hunting days of the year. Gotta be careful!!
OH NO HE DIII-ENTTTT!!!!: Below, Emma makes a typical Roebling-girl face at her beloved cousin Callum as they shared a beautiful dinner of Elios Pizza.

3 comments:

belle said...

Two words: LOVE IT!

That's a great pic of you and Stevecee. You'll have to email that to me.

Anonymous said...

How does Steveecee feel about packing and also sweating?

Santa said...

sorry, but I'm offended by you calling my thoughtful pre-Christmas gifts to Callum and Emma CRAP.....