Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Blizzard #1

And another visitor: Winslow alumnus and good friend Michelle came by--like she usually does on her breaks from school--to meet Ms Maira and say hello to Callum. So great to see her, as always. She is fortunate enough to go to college in Boston, where it is always so beautiful around Christmastime--it reminds me of one of Amanda and I's first dates, where we took a bus down to Boston in December, ice skated on Frog Pond, dined at Paglucia's in the North End, looked for the Enchanted Village that wasnt there, and just walked around the beautiful winter cityscape. Good days. Callum is SO into puzzles lately--he got several for Christmas. His favorites are the Charlie Brown Christmas puzzle Dave and Muriel got him, and the four-way (firetruck, bus, train, racecar) puzzle we got him for Christmas. Below, he and Michelle work on a firetruck puzzle. I'll brag: He is an extremely smart little boy and he understands the schematics and logistics of matching jigsaw pieces better than I ever have (or will). He gets that from his mommy.
I'll be objective: I have lived through many winters and cleaned up after many snowstorms. Never, in my memory, have I struggled with the shovelling more than with the blizzard we just got on Sunday/Monday. Shovelling the driveway and walkway was an absolute nightmare, and I am not going to try to be all masculine and say "it was fine." Because it was not. At all. People often wonder why we dont just get a snowblower. Perhaps its a romantic (or stupid) notion, but, while I can do it, I want to shovel. I dont need (or want) technology for everything in my life. There is nothing wrong with a little suffering and hard, miserable work once in a while. It keeps you honest. Someday, I'll be unfit to shovel, and then we will get a snowblower. Yesterday, Callum and I cleared the walkway, and the fire department came around, shovelling out hydrants. Callum was thrilled, and got an up-close look at the truck.....
And in the afternoon, we tried out our new snowshoes!! Look--its Nanook of the North! (this particular model of snowshoes are called "snowflakes"....hilarious!)
The snow drifts in our "backyard" were up to my shoulders....I couldnt even walk back there; but Callum, since he had his snowshoes (and an excessively low body weight) seemed to float on top of the snow.....in this photo, he said he was "climbing a mountain."
And here is one happy little boy, enjoying the Northern winter in style. Check out the snowbank behind him from the plow! We only spent about ten minutes outside, since the windchill was so severe. But tomorrow and Friday--when it is supposed to be warmer--we'll head to the woods on our shoes and sleds!!

2 comments:

ortiz said...

LOVE THOSE SNOWSHOES,SO CUTE.

The Goldsmiths said...

thanks ortiz....you can see him in action next week!

bring your snowshoes too!