Sunday, February 8, 2015

Do you remember those "Cam Jenson" books from when you were a kid? She was that young girl who had the photographic memory and could help solve crime? Crime solving kids seemed to be pretty popular back when I was a young reader. We had Cam Jenson, Encyclopedia Brown, the Hardy Boys, and Nancy Drew, for example. Now all kids get are sorcerer-vampire-dragon-rider characters. At least protagonists DID something to help serve people back when I was a kid. No wonder no kids wanna work these days....haha. But, at any rate, I was reading some Cam Jenson to Callum today; we picked up the book at a library sale up in Lubec this past summer. What a great library. 



The book spawned all this conversation about the circus--I used to go with my mom or my dad all the time growing up! The Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey Circus used to come to the Boston Garden and we would go see it! Callum and I were talking about what goes on at a circus, since he has never been. In fact, I dont even ever hear about them anymore! There were two things that I ALWAYS got at the circus. One was one of those flashlight things that had a button on it, and you pressed it and something spun around and flashed all the different colors. Anyone remember that?? The other thing I would always get was a 'program.' I used to freakin LOVE those things--they had pictures of all the performers, stories, etc etc. I used to collect them: Circus, Disney on Ice, etc. I used to read them all the time. It is no surprise that the apple doesnt fall far from the tree; Callum and Maira are obsessed with little programs, travel brochures, etc!

Oh, and this is Leonardo, Callum's latest acquisition:


We told Callum he could pick out a reward for having such an excellent report card! His card was truly magnificent, and it hilighted not only the success he is having with his own learning and math and reading, etc...but ALSO it emphasized how well he is helping OTHER kids in class, and how he is being such a good classmate, friend, and leader. In kindergarten, there are certain 'benchmarks' they want the kids to reach 'by the end of the year.' For reading, kindergarten students should be at a 'Level 3' reading level by June. Callum is already at an 8! He is well on his way to acceptance at the Naval Academy...haha...We are super proud of him for being such a good student and a good friend!!

And I've been taking advantage of the amazing cold snowy weather to get in some fantastic runs! Yesterday morning it was 2 degrees when I left, but unfortunately it warmed up to 7 degrees by the end of the run. Oh well. Heat waves DO happen I guess. But seriously though...haha...as much as I love the cold, it truly is VERY HARD on one's body, both physically and mentally. I find that I just cannot breathe as well, and thus cannot go as far. But hey...anything beats having to go to a gym and work out inside. In my opinion, anyway



But sometimes it is nice to stay in and exercise on those cold nights; yoga is a favorite of Amanda and Jared! It is great to stretch out and build strength using your own body. And, as you can see, Cupcake is a fantastic yoga coach!!
Finally today, Sally and I have been noticing lately how Callum and Maira--growing up in the age of the Internet--are completely 'spoiled' by the instant gratification and seemingly endless breadth of information out there....they are so enmeshed in it, that I think Amanda and I sometimes fail to realize this. This came to fruition today when Callum wanted us to see how much his gym teacher (Mr T) looks like his hero, Julian Edelman, this year's true Superbowl MVP. Anyway, I told him how I wished I could see Mr T and decide for myself. "Mommy," he says, go on the computer and get a picture of Mr T standing next to Julian Edelman so daddy can see how much they look alike." He couldnt even FATHOM that SOMETHING might NOT exist on the Internet. He was completely serious with his request. I think he thinks (and Maira does too) that EVERYTHING in ANY COMBINATION is on the web...hilarious...

No comments: