Monday, July 20, 2015



We had not been to Seawall since last September, believe it or not; we had plans to go up for a couple of days during Christmas and February vacation, etc, but each time we did, we got snowed out. As a rule, we try to stay as far away from Mt Desert Island in the summer as possible, but we just couldnt wait any longer before getting back to Seawall....so we went, just for a night, to get away. This was last week, and I am sorry that I am just getting around to posting this stuff :/

It was verrrrry low tide when we got there, so we were able to go out rather far into where the ocean usually is. This enabled us to find some 'sand,' which is very unusual on MDI. The kids loved exploring and finding shells and rocks to add to their collection....


For dinner that night, we got some pizza and sandwiches at Gott's, this local gas station/store in Bass Harbor and took our meal to the National Park picnic area at Seawall (side tangent for a second: Do you think that in like fifty years people will reminisce about getting pizza and subs at gas stations the same way my parents reminisce about when you used to get milk shakes and malts at the pharmacy? I bet they will! I think these mom and pop convenience stores will soon become a thing of the past!)

A beautiful place for a picnic. And two beautiful girls to look at while eating! I wish I knew what islands we are looking at in the background...but I know it is over by Somes Sound...


Amanda and I are trying to get our pictures taken together more. So here is another one.

After dinner, Maira and Amanda drove back to the SeawallMotel, and CS and I walked back--but we took some detours around the picnic area AND we explored one of the loops of the Seawall Campground. Seawall campground is one of the two National Park campgrounds, and it is unique in that they do NOT take reservations...it is first come/first served. For my money, it is the best campground I have ever seen. Callum and I love walking around and seeing the different camp sites and how people set up their stuff. Also, on the way back, we saw FIVE deer (there is no hunting in the nat. park, so the deer are pretty fearless). We were able to get very close to them, which CS loved. He wanted his picture taken of him with this one (it looked closer when we were actually there...haha). This was in a meadow on the walk back. There is the ocean. Then the 'road' that passes thru the park. Then there is lush forest and meadow; it is such a breathtaking area!


That night, after the kids were in bed, Dave (the owner of the motel) and I played some cribbage. Then Amanda and Vicki (dave's wife) joined us for some four-way cribbage. A great evening.

The next morning, we explored the rocks some more, and then we set out on a fantastic hike of Flying Mountain in Southwest Harbor. I didnt bring my phone/camera on the hike (Amanda did) so I dont have pictures. Maybe Amanda can send me some. But it was a wonderful hike--about 1.8 mile loop--and it had a quick ascent to the summit where there were striking views of Somes Sound. Then, there was a longer descent through blueberry glens and pine forests that led us to a very secluded pebbly beach at the far end of the sound. I think it was called VALLEY COVE. Very secluded and rustic and resplendent with jellyfish EVERYWHERE. The kids meandered around in the water and then we finished up, walking the final half mile on a beautiful old fire road.

Always a great time in Seawall on MDI!


No comments: