Monday, June 25, 2007

Brookies, Guitar Hero, and Literacy too




For as much complaining as I do about work (doesnt everyone?), I firmly believe I teach at the best school in the state, with the most intelligent and talented faculty around. I am serious. I am involved in a conference on literacy and reading strategies that ran today and will finish up tomorrow. The level of conversation we are able to have with our small group of teachers who came to this conference of their own volition is amazing. I noted on my comment card that this is the first workshop in a long time where I wasn't looking at the clock--you know those days when you look at the clock and it is 8:30, and then 4 hours later its 8:38? Yeah. This wasn't, as my good friend and colleague Mike Smith noted, another workshop that can be conceptualized as an "educational driveby--" where you get all this crap jammed down your throat in a wicked concentrated amount of time . . .and you leave feeling riddled with jargon, instead of bullets, like it was when I lived in Compton. I feel excited to try some of this stuff out.


Good news on grandmom's surgery. And, also creeping up on us, is Mom's final push toward finishing up radiation. We hope to get to see her soon, as we havent seen her since mother's day and it would be nice to get together. Oh well . . .the hazards of living three hours away.


After the conference, it was off to the Lachapelle's to Dave's 40th birthday party. A good time to be with friends and colleagues like Zach, Rich, and Joyce. Note the picture of Joyce and I rocking out to Guitar Hero I--we collectively kicked butt on "Hooked on a Feeling" by BOSTON. Hopefully, this photo ends up in next year's yearbook. One can dream. We also headed down to Dave's self made trout pond, to watch the evening feeding frenzy. Dave feeds his Brookies (Mainespeak for "brook trout") these pellets that look like rabbit poop, but nonetheless get the fish to grow to about 15 inches. Pretty huge for a native brook trout, seeing as how ones you usually catch in local ponds run about 8 inches or so average. But, then again, these are "Barry Bonds" trout, eating "special food."


Tomorrow is supposed to be a scorcher. We're gonna turn on the air conditioner and read the latest National Geographic article about Arlington National Cemetery. Stay class San Diego

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Makes me feel bad that I missed it!

Unknown said...

I would never play you in Guitar Hero, Jared. You would probably destroy me, unless of course we were playing along with that sweet sweet melody knowns as "Mother" by Glen Danzig.