Monday, June 18, 2007

Final Exam Meanderings . . .



This week is final exam week at WHS, and I am pretty sure that we are the only school in the Pine Tree state NOT out yet. I teach seniors, so today I was helping out by covering detention for kids who still owed time. I like this time of year, since I get to do some real reading for next year--picking short stories and the like to include in my curriculum next year. Today I read, amongst other stories, "A Rose for Emily" by William Faulkner--a haunting tale of "true love," if you will. The story actually reminds me of something my friend Johnny Crockett used to do with one of his former girlfriends, but I digress.

Up in Maine this past Friday there was an article about how the state prison's commissary went from being "state run" to being run by a private vendor. This caused all kinds of headaches for the poor inmates, as now they have to 50 cents, not 20 cents, for cajun chicken ramen noodles. Also, atomic fireballs went up from 40cents to 70 cents!!! Can you believe it? Someone needs to help these poor rapists, murderers, and pedophiles! This is an injustice! One prisoner even remarked, and I quote, "this is highway robbery what they are doing to us!" These poor inmates are being "raped" by the system.

But, the mission of the correctional system is to help inmates adapt into "regular" society again, so maybe this ain't such a bad idea . . .

Well, I'm off to my bike ride home. I love riding to and from school. Especially if you are morbidly obese like me--Jared

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

....Mike has seniors too!!...

Anonymous said...

I know A Mike. He got a raise.