Sunday, June 26, 2011

Thirteen. Point. One.

Almost a year's worth of training culminated today when I completed my first half marathon. It was an indescribable feeling to run over thirteen miles--successfully--and still have the energy to pick up my three year old son afterwards! Last summer, I ran a 5k race and had to stop a bit and walk and catch my breath. Embarrassing. After that race, as we sat in Big G's eating breakfast, I simply decided I wasnt going to be fat anymore. I changed my eating habits. And my exercise routine. Since last July, I have lost roughly 65 pounds. Amen.

Although I did not reach my goal TIME for this race (I wanted to run two hours, and I was about seven minutes over that) I was VERY happy with the MANNER in which I raced. I ran a slower first half and a faster second half. This mean I had some stuff "saved up." My strategy worked flawlessly: Although (obviously) people finished ahead of me, not one person PASSED me that I initially was in front of. Furthermore, I passed many folks--especially after mile 9, when I decided to "go" and really work myself. I was reeling folks in, passing them, and never looking back. Going on the "offensive" was quite the trip--especially for wicked wussy and non confrontational me....

Here is good friend Dave. His first half as well. He beat me by about 3 or 4 minutes. He's a very motivating force to me.

Here I am approaching the finishing gate. The route followed 7 miles from Fort Western in Augusta to the beginning of the Kennebec River Rail Trail (an old railroad bed) and then the route took us along the river, through some pretty woods, and through some towns like Hallowell and Gardiner.
This is a funny picture: I dont know what Dave was doing or thinking (actually, Amanda is sitting here telling me that he is scowling because he said "runners dont smile...they scowl). Either way a good shot.
My running posse people! Colleague Lori Loftus, and student Conner Bourgoine trained with me through one of the coldest and snowiest winters on record....we ran in ice, rain, freezing rain, cows, sub zero temps, did I say cows? Anyway, these are two of the most dedicated people and I am extremely proud of them. I will actually coach Conner (in addition to teaching him Anglish) next year (oh yeah, I am the new WHS co-cross country coach). Conner ran an impressive 1:45 time--which is an 8:03 pace!!
Callum. Loves. To. Run. The "blue thing," as he calls it, was covering some wires that triggered each runner's time as they ran through the chute (each bib number had a chip on it so our times were recorded, even). Callum--with the permission of the race staff--kept running down the chute, in celebration, finishing not two, but three half marathons this morning. He loved it.
And then....ah......relaxation! Thanks to Lori and Trevvie-cakes for hosting a victory BBQ where we drank ice beers, ate good food, and tried to motivate each other to actually get up and move around. My body is very sore and very tired. My feet especially....
Amanda runs her first 5K next Saturday!!!

4 comments:

Susie said...

Well done, Jared!

ORTIZ said...

GREAT JOB JARED!!!!!

Mee Mee said...

Great job, Jared!!! I know that you trained and worked so hard for this including diet which took alot of will-power. If you have any extra left over, would you please give it to me? You looked very good coming over the finishing line - like you could have kept going! Callum was so priceless with his wanting to run "like daddy". I love his arm movements when he runs. What a cutie!

JR said...

Congrats, Jared! That you stuck with it through a winter in Maine makes you hardcore.