Thursday, September 29, 2011

More than halfway....

Through my first season as asst. coach of Winslow Cross Country--the finest team in the school. I love coaching XC and the kids are first rate....and so are the parents. I think this is the only sport I would coach...I particularly love the one on one you can have with the kids as you coach them. Lots of people wonder what a cross country coach DOES (hey...go for a run.......umm....great job.....but try to go farther next time....or something....). Actually, we do a lot. First of all, I run with the kids EACH and every day. THis has greatly improved my own personal running times and the shape I am in. We bust our butts each afternoon from 230 to 4 or later. Monday is always our long day. Tuesday is hills. Wednesday is mile or half mile repeats. Thursday is an easy day. Fridays are meets. We have some great runners, athletes, and all around people on the team. If you are on FB, check out and become a fan of Winslow Cross Country. If you want. This Saturday is the annual FESTIVAL OF CHAMPIONS in Belfast. This is a HUGGGGEEEE meet; teams come up from RI, MA, and NH....they come down from Canada! There will be--by my estimation--close to 800 runners from about 70 different schools. A crazy day for sure. After that we begin the regional races....KVACs (Kennebec Valley Athletic Conference championships) and then the state meet. The courses are awesome--through the woods, mud, and swamps....up steep hills.....through quiet forests. Chris (my co coach) and I run the course with the kids wherever we are, as we sprint to different checkpoints in order to get the kids' "splits" (how fast they run each mile of the 3.1 mile course.....

And now the kids....

Getting interested in stairs.....

Still only those two little bottom teeth....WHEN will she get more?????
ALWAYS so happy (and drooling)
Loves playing with the Thomas Train table in the playroom....here she is wondering to herself if she can eat this crane....
Amanda took this one. I asked her: WHat. The heck. Was our son doing when you took this??? She cannot remember. I think this would be a great caption contest.....
We're addicted. But we got a great deal....at B&F Vegetables the other day I asked if he had any utility tomatoes, as the season is winding down. he gave us a DEAL--a bushel (what you see here) for 15 bucks. That is half off! Viva la cyanning....

2 comments:

Nannie said...

Can't wait to see them next weekend. So excited I think I am more excited than anyone. Maira is going to be a devil I think and that is a Jonathan face on Callum if I ever saw one !

Belle said...

Love the pics, the kids are so cute! I think the caption should read: "hey look at my muscles, I look like Steve Cee".