Saturday, September 3, 2011

You comin'?

This has been my mantra over the last year or so, since I got SERIOUS about my health, fitness, and weight. I haven't really written a lot about my success with my weightloss, but I have decided to now. Because, for the first time since before I got cancer, I am below 200 pounds (194 to be exact...) My top weight, according to the doctor, peaked about the time little Callum was born--274 pounds. Disgusting.

How did I do it? The right way. The only way. Three simple things: Healthy choices, low sugar consumption, and PORTION CONTROL. I used to eat WAYYY too much. I still do love to eat though. And, when I treat myself to Chinese food, even now, all bets are off--I enjoy. But my eating has changed completely. I dont even say I am on a "diet," because I really am not. I have changed my whole lifestyle. The second thing I did was up the exercise--and, with the weight loss, one hand washes the other, so to speak; whereas before I would be totally wasted by running three miles, once I started getting lighter, I could run farther, burn more calories, etc etc I am the strongest I have ever been. I run, bicycle, do yoga, and lots of body weight exercises (combined with a 50 pound sandbag I bought at Agway...and some 15 pound dumbbells). Whenever I would get tired or unmotivated or aggravated, I would ask myself: "are you comin?" Was I going to let my mind and my heart and my soul keep up with my physical self? Was I going to rise to the challenge?

This was a picture Amanda took of me last week on the summit of Pleasant Pond Mtn.

This is me in June of 2008. What the hell was I thinking?
When I look at old pictures, I guess I failed to realize how heavy I really was......


In the film "Shawshank Redemption," 'Red,' the character played by Morgan Freeman, says of his life imprisonment sentence: "Get busy living or get busy dyin'....."

Life is going to move no matter what. Are you comin'?

3 comments:

billy bob said...

I'm doggone proud of ya Jared!

Nannie said...

Wow!!

ORTIZ said...

JARED, YOU LOOK GREAT,GOOD JOB, I AM PROUD OF YOU.I KNOW HOW MUCH YOU LOVE TO EAT, I DON'T KNOW WHO YOU TAKE AFTER?