Monday, December 5, 2011

Scotch Eggs and such...

Everyone knows it and makes fun of us for it: Amanda and I just love British crap. Television. Radio. Cooking. Clothing. Healthcare. Each day at lunch, in an effort to sequester myself from the rest of the school and have 10 minutes of peace (I am SOOOO popular) I sit, in the dark, in my room, eat my lunch, and watch youtube videos of (mostly British) cooking videos. Like many folks, during Christmas and the holidays, I enjoy cooking festive stuff--I just roasted a turkey the other day, and this Saturday, for Maira's first birthday party, I am smoking a ham on the Weber. One recipe I found was a Christmas tradition in England and Scotland:Scotch eggs. Here is a picture of how they turned out:
I did mine a bit on the unconventional side, meaning I baked them instead of frying them--but other than that, I followed a traditional recipe. I boiled and then peeled eggs. Then I took some natural casing sausage, and slit the casings down the length of the sausage, removing the casing, and rolling out the sausage into a little patty, for which I used some special and secretly seasoned flour. Then I covered the whole egg with the sausage, dunked the whole kabang in an egg wash, coated them with some homemade breadcrumbs, and bada-bing! I byaked they for a bit, just until the crisped up. They DEFINITELY would taste better fried, but I didnt feel like cleaning up a big mess. These MAY return for the holidays! As might a special chowder AND a fish pie. We'll see.....

Lynne and George watched the kids for Sally and I the other night so we could a. go to Toys R Us and spend hundreds of dollars on Chinese plastic crap and b. go to DYSARTS!!!!!! When we got home, this is what we saw:
Exhausted from a long night of playing trains, no doubt!
Before falling asleep, George was probably thinking about how tragic Herman Cain's campaign ended up being....hence the dubiously thoughtful posture....

This kid dont go anywhere without Mister Puppy....

No comments: