Tuesday, June 26, 2012

River Running: Augusta Rail Trail 1/2 Marathon '12

I have a strange and mysterious relationship with water: When I was younger, at a beach with my cousins in Hingham, I remember walking off a virtual 'ledge' at the beach, going under, and consuming roughly 1.5 gallons of seawater. Years later, surf kayaking with my friend Tim, I virtually drowned off York Beach and in all actuality would have died if not for the Wilderness EMT skills of Tim who rescued me.

Yet, I cant seem to survive too far from the water--I always need to be in it or on it or under it or around it; my favorite runs occur in the miserable, raw rain (like tonight). Furthermore, ask me about my favorite and most life altering experiences of all time and they will involve my Outward Bound course where I sailed in outer Boston Harbor for a week on  an antique pulling boat AND my two consecutive years sailing on a WIndjammer off the coast of Camden (accompanied by 15 twenty four female Swiss exchange students, of course.....). Finally, I feel most at home being at one with the water while paddling my wife and children around in our Old Town Camper....

So where does running fit into this? You cant run in the water, sillypyants!! Well, wait a second. The rail trail half marathon squirrels along the banks of the Kennebec River. The Kennebec is a powerful and beautiful river: The same river 400 yards from our house....the same river the guys and I canoe on up in the Forks....the same river that flows through Augusta and Hallowell on its way down to the ocean in Popham Beach...

This run is a spiritual experience: Through the woods, 13.1 miles, along a powerfully life-giving river. People often ask me why in the world I would choose to run a half marathon. I still dont know. But the river is, as it was last year, my companion along the way. I dont know if this is fact or crap, but a Penobscot Indian Elder I once heard speak told a story about how 'water' gives off 'positive ions' that have legitimate healing properties. Well, they were at work on this past Sunday.


A great race. Former student (and now FRIEND) Conner ran it--pardon me, CRUSHED IT with a time of 1:41. Good friend and bicycling/running/musical/spiritual mentor Dave also had a great showing, setting for himself a PR of 2:02. I improved on my run drastically from last year as well--shattering my time by about 11 or 12 minutes: I earned a 1:54. A VERY tough, hot, muggy race, and, here it is Tuesday, and I am still a hurting unit for sure.


Here I am 'making my move' towards the finish line, trying to beat this guy I had in my sights for the last mile or so. I HAD to beat him....or else. In running terms, I was "reeling him in." For the last hundred yards or so I passed a bunch of people and thought I had him....and then HE turned it on as well....it made for a fun public spectacle. Looking at the results in the paper the next day, I see my time was 1:54.07. "Bucky Love," as I found out was his name, ran a 1:54.06!!!! WHAT THE HECK!!!! haha....
.



But it was all in good fun and spirit of the sport....Bucky was a good guy and we hugged after the race....



4 comments:

Ortiz said...

Good job,very proud of you. You are in great shape!

Bucky Love said...

Suck it Volvsmythe!

Mike Hein said...

Bucky smoked you, son.

And the "positive water ions" comment makes me think you may have not drank as much water during the race as you should have!

Nannue said...

Why do I not k ow about almost drowning or a ledge in Hingham. ???????
Hmmmmm

Saved by Timmy The Greek.
Oh My Stars.