Thursday, July 10, 2014

Broken Camera

Yes. That is correct. Yet another thing for my dad to make fun of my about for the next several years. While we were away last week up at a camp in Whiting, our camera, while in Amanda's chair on the dock, got blown into Indian Lake and now does not work anymore. We are working on getting another one soon. But until then I just wanted to recap what we have been doing, if only (actually COMPLETELY only) so that, in years to come, I can read this to the kids and they can see that I wasnt really that bad of a dad and did cool stuff with them. I know full well that no one else will read this because there are no pictures. So I am sorry about that. Go back to facebook I guess.....

We had a fantastic week staying on Red Cedar Lane off of Route 1 in Whiting on Indian Lake. A gorgeous area....Whiting is truly DOWNEAST near towns like Machias and Lubec....it is about ten miles or so from Cobscook Bay State Parque. Always fantastic to be in our great state, outside, on the water, with the kids and family. We did so much awesome stuff....but I thought that for time's sake I would sort of 'bulletize' the rudiments of what we did so we can look back in years to come!


  • Multiple canoe paddles each day....solo...with just Callum...with just Maira...with everyone....we were out in the canoe, at some points, all day long, exploring the coast and the shallow lake (20 feet at deepest)....Callum and I found an ice skate stuck in the mud off the boat launch...
  • "Canoe Games" involving me paddling out to the boat launch across the lake and dropping Callum off....then I would circle around and come back and pretend that I 'discovered' a magical land of robots (he would pretend to be a robot) and I would 'buy' him to work for me.....then I would paddle him home
  • Making fun of the Greek professor (who owns the camp) and his choice of 'decor' like floor to ceiling mirrors in most rooms....a spiral staircase the goes down to the basement (the stairs were covered with pink plush carpet) etc
  • Playing one of our favorite games--Spinners (a domino game) with everyone...teaching Callum how to play
  • Playing an ongoing Scrabble game where Amanda cheated (as usual) and played the word MIOS, claiming it is the nickname of Tim and should thus be played. This set up a 47 point triple word score from Lin or something....
  • Going to Helen's restaurant which USED to be amazing but now sucks hard. Oh well. 
  • Commissary Point Hike with BaBa (90 years old and still drives all by himself and hikes and walks each day etc....God Bless him!!) The mosquitoes on this trail could have been used by Bush in one of the wars he started and they could have been used as Weapons of mass destruction  
  • Maira doing her first 'mountain' hike of Klondike Mtn in Lubec....a really really awesome and easy and pretty hike if you are up that way (you wont be....)
  • Listening to the sox lose each night and then listening to this batshit insane guy named Vin Scully from the Dodgers call the Dodger's games after....
  • reading great books
  • spending the fourth of July in Lubec....going to the library book sale...getting coffee at one of my favorite coffee places in Maine--THE ATLANTIC HOUSE where they also make a donut called the LUBECKER, which is a plain homemade donut cut in half like a bun...stuffed with this cream that should be illegal...and covered in this chocolate glaze....UNREAL
  • getting hit with Hurricane Arther...downeast REALLY got hit hard...driving home was scary...you could 'hear the tension in my voice' Tim said, cuz he's a tool. Trees blown down everywhere...re routed because of snapped and fallen utility POLES (nevermind wires!!) on the roads...flooding....very scary ride
  • Screens....(sorry....the kids told me I had to)
  • Callum and Maira in their duck float and their Lightning McQueen float, swimming out to the booey
  • The Pink Easter Egg booey the kids loved so much
I will try to post some pics that George took (actually I think Amanda took most of them on his camera) if I can figure out how to format them to Jpegs from George's fancy IT Consultant web site cloud browser cookie thing....and hopefully the Goldsmiths will be back with images soon!!! 

We are having a very blessed summer

No comments: