Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Couldn't even grasp the idea.....

Tonight on our way home from the Quarry Road trails, Callum and I were alone in the car together and Maira and Amanda were in the other car (Amanda met us at the trails right from work) and Callum, for the first time, asked one of the MANY 'first time' questions I fully expect to encounter over the next few years as he becomes more and more intelligent and intuitive. Out of the clear blue he just says "Daddy, wait....if Nannie is your mom and Papa is your dad, then how come Nannie and Papa dont live together?" This made me chuckle a bit, because for the entirety of Callum's life, he has known--exclusively--Nannie and Upbob living in one house....and GrammyG and Papa living in another house; as Christof, in THE TRUMAN SHOW so eloquently says, "we accept the reality which we have been given." Therefore, Callum has never asked a question about it. But like I said....he is growing up and getting smarter....

So, for the first time, I had to explain to him what 'divorce' is--he had no idea what I was talking about, and he couldnt seem to grasp the idea that two people who were 'married' could be suddenly 'not married' anymore. I have to admit, when you sound it out and try to explain it, the whole process DOES sound pretty stupid. He was so full of questions as he tried to understand what I was talking about: "So is Papa still your dad and Nannie still your mom?" YES. "So did the two of them get mad at each other?" PROBABLY. "Did you cry a lot?" I HAVE NEVER CRIED IN MY LIFE--EXCEPT WHEN THEY BROUGHT ME THE WRONG FRIED RICE. "So how can people not love each other anymore?" I DONT KNOW. "But daddy, they get along great now!" YES THEY DO.  All kinds of stuff like that. He then just sat in silence and I knew he was inevitably going to ask if WE were going to get a divorce...so I beat him to the punch and asked him if he feared this with mommy and daddy. "OF COURSE NOT!!! THAT'S SILLY TO SAY!!" This satisfied my soul. But isnt that just so funny how we have to explain things like this to kids? It isnt like we try to 'shelter' our kids from the world or anything like that....but I am elated that it took Callum six full years to even know what the word 'divorce' meant. .....

Some pictures from the last few days.....

Callum's 'fishing list" that he made to bring to LL Bean....I didnt go because I was at home painting, but Amanda said he gave this list to "Mr Sam," the man who was working at the Hunt/Fish store at LL Bean, and Mr Sam took Callum around to show him what he needed......now Callum is all set to be just as bad at catching fish as his dad and grandfather (but now his GREAT grandfather, however....Papa G used to slay some fish!)


Some chick who cries a lot around my house and has the whole world fooled.....



Making sure his rod is straight?? HA! This is a little pond that we can walk through via the "Star Dog Memorial Wilderness/ JJ and Ava Ponticelli Snowmobile Trail System" across the street from our house. Only kids 14 and under are allowed to fish here. The town of Fairfield stocks it with Rainbow Trout.....we caught nothing....

And here is a hot chick who I have bake things...............and her mom too......HEYYYOOOOOOOO




No comments: