Friday, January 9, 2015

Meanderings I was thinking about lately while running.....

1. The word "banks" is kind of funny because of the two COMPLETELY drastic definitions it has--on one hand, a 'bank' is a place where you go to get 'free' stuff (like a food bank, you see?). But, on the other hand, if you go to the OTHER type of bank and look for 'free' stuff, you could go to jail for attempted robbery. What's a brother to do, ya know?

2. Here's something you never see anymore--those cute sports-car things with the retractable headlights that went in and out of the hood depending if they were needed or not. Why did those go away? That was about as close to Transformers that real cars ever got :/

3. Here are some foods that are super popular in Mass, but you virtually cannot find ANYWHERE in Maine: Chinese 'bone in' spareribs at restaurants, potato rolls, corned beef hash (well, VERY rarely you will see it for breakfast up here), linguica/chorizo, 'scrod,' and turkey 'parts' sold at grocery stores (meaning how in Mass you can always buy turkey cutlets, turkey thighs, turkey legs, etc....you cant get that up here!)

4. 'popcorn chicken' made a pretty good run a few years ago...it was almost more popular than chicken nuggets...now where is it??

5. A funny Halloween costume I was thinking about doing next year: coloring a picture of a trophy or a plaque, and then wearing it around my neck with a piece of string. What are you supposed to be, you ask? A 'grand prize drawing."

6. While on the subject of Halloween (I know it is January and all, but whatever): It seems to be common practice now that people who live out in the 'country' where there aren't a lot of houses now drive their kids over to thickly settled neighborhoods, so their kids can experience a more active trick or treat experience. Good for them. But, by the same logic, can I drive my family over to your house this summer and have a picnic in your lush fields, or hike through the woods in your backyard? Ya know...do things that I can't do in 'my' neighborhood....I'm not bitter...I'm just bored.

7. A student said to me the other day "irregardless, I use incorrectly." I said "you use WHAT incorrectly?" She said "irregardless." Get it? I thought the word 'regardless' in her original statement was modifying the rest of her statement. Like I said, I'm just bored...

8. These people that use the 'reusable' k cups (the hard plastic 'cartridges that you keep refilling with coffee). Forget about the fact that they are a pain in the butt and leak everywhere, but don't you realize that you are missing the point of KCups? Isnt the whole point that of 'convenience' so you dont have to spoon stuff out and measure stuff and deal with plastic and moving parts and things to clean? I dont know. Maybe I'm the moron here.

9.There's been no significant change or improvement to the bookmark since the 1700s. What the hell is wrong with us? Have we gotten lazy? Surely there's gotta be a better way.

Despite the title, this is actually an awesome book!!! Takes place on a Christmas tree farm in Maine...written by a Maine author...


Amanda is making me some bow-ties as a Christmas gift....Cupcake is helping.....


Thanks Jawnny Croquette for the books for Christmas!! Both these books are hilarious and the kids legit love them! Let's Do Nothing is a cool idea!!

1 comment:

MeeMee said...

Great post! You are so funny! Just one thing - I thought I knew pretty well your taste in books - now I' m not so sure:)