Monday, September 22, 2008

Some things.....


Not Josiah, of course....but Callum Stuart! This morning, as I unlocked my classroom, went inside, and went back to my desk, I noticed a gift box with a bow laying right on top of my desk. Attached was a card that read how in Korea, there is a tradition known as Baek-Il, where there is a celebration to honor the baby's first 100 days of life, since the first 100 days are the most difficult times. The card goes on: "Today is your Baek Il!! Congratulations and all our best--The Thurstons." Thanks Mike and Mira Su! For his Baek Il, Callum got a cute little bear hat with ears on it. When you think about it, its pretty amazing: Callum is 100 days old!

Speaking of babies.....
Yes indeed Callum, you are going to be a big cousin. For those of you who dont keep up with the Favry blog, I thought I'd let you know that Kristin and Anthony are expecting our first nephew (at least I think its a boy....everyone else thinks its a girl) on April 5th! Congratulations you guys. I've been a dad for 100 days now....but I've never been an uncle! So the whole grandparent process begins again for my mom and dad.....just dont expect this every year Papa and Nannie!!!!

And here is a picture of Ms. Sally Piles and her new Volvo 940 Turbo. I have to say: I dont like cars at all; they dont really do anything for me, and I dont really care what I drive. That being said, I really like this car! I think its pretty sharp looking, and the turbo is fun to play with on the highway (I pretend I am Han Solo on the Millennium Falcon). It will be Amanda's "daily driver" to Augusta, and I will take the Subaru to work. The truck, my dear and beloved old girl, still has LOTS of life left in her, and we are trying to figure out what her role will be. She may go stay over at Lynne and George's for a while, to be the "family truck" if anyone needs to move trash, mulch, mechanic toolboxes, body parts, etc
And it has a Thule bike rack, so I can go riding in faraway places.....


Finally this evening, one change for me this school year is that I have taken an intern for the semester. Her name is Alea, and she is a Colby College senior who will be doing her student teaching with me this fall and winter. I have to say: this makes me feel old. I remember when I was an intern at Noble High School down in Berwick about 9 years ago. During the first week of classes, I found myself standing in a room full of 25 juniors trying to make sense of the September 11th attacks, as we watched the news on TV. It was pretty heavy. So Alea will be taking my freshman college prep class and "making it her own" until January....and she'll also be observing/teaching in my other senior classes. I hope she enjoys her time with me....and finds it valuable!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exciting! Thanks for mentioning on your blog. We cannot wait until next summer for the kids to hang out! So, when you having your second?

Anonymous said...

I love your new wheels Amanda! Good luck with your new car.

Unknown said...

I think that's a cool Korean tradition.