Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve 2008

I really apologize about the time its been between blogs lately. With all the holiday goings-on, its hard to keep up with a daily blog. But dont worry...I'll be home all week, and there'll be SO MUCH to write about--Callum's first Christmas, Christmas Day, a visit from Nannie and PB on Friday, a visit from the Favry's on New Years....its going to be SO GREAT. I wish I could invent a time machine so we could spend time with everyone on all the holidays.....or that I could teleport people instantly. But we cant, so we're just happy for all we have and all we have to look forward to. And I'm happy to end a sentence with a preposition.

We got SLAMMED a few days (that's what she's said). But we got a "blizzard," and I can use that word because Kevin Mannix used that word. And if Kevin Mannix uses that word, you know its all good. Eustis Maine, just south of Moosehead Lake, got 40 inches. I got about 22 inches (thats what she said) on Sunday into Monday. I just took pictures yesterday, but shovelling was truly a community effort. Dana, in his enduring generosity, helped me with the snowblower, and I raked off roofs and helped Bill across the street shovel out his walkway and path to his garage; I like this old fashioned neighborhood spirit, and its one plus of living in a neighborhood....but as you can see, we got LOTS of snow. And we had no school on Monday!
Which meant that I could stay home with Sally, who had previously put in to take Monday off for her annual "cookie day," where she stays home and bakes ALL DAY LONG. It was awesome, and I felt so blessed to share a snowy day with Callum, Amanda, Moe Jr, and the oven. (Moe Jr. is our wood stove).

Here's a picture of her "staging table."



And here's the youngest baker, pondering what he should help his mommy make next. Callum is going to be such a lucky little boy, as he'll be taught so much from his mommy--how to knit, how to bake, how to read books in an hour and then forget everything you just read, and how to sew. He'll be very well rounded. And, from his Daddy, he'll learn how to order properly at Ming Lee. Maybe that would be a good blog--exploring the idea of what Callum will learn from his family! Ha. Maybe later. And here's a picture I posted just to make Nannie upset!
After school yesterday, I ran a few "errands," as well as stopping at Oak Pond Brewery to fill up some growlers for Christmas. It was a great spirit--Christmas time, a brewery, a snowy country road in the middle of nowhere...good stuff. I sampled some "Dooryard Ale" last night, and Callum really wanted to try some. NOTE:Callum did NOT drink any beer. He just tried to put the glass in his mouth....like he tries to put everything in his mouth. Plus, he was wearing a lifejacket.




And today, Sally is working from home, its snowing outside, we have cookies to deliver, prime rib and creamed spinach to make, and friends to call. Merry Christmas to all my dear friends and family, to whom I dont tell enough how much I love and how much they mean to me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had to look up the definition of a "dooryard". Learn something new every day. Make sure to teach Callum how to order only a glass of red wine and a water from the Town Spa.

Merry Christmas!!

Anonymous said...

yes, and some plain white bread to eat.

i will also teach him how to "pack."

Michelle Garner said...

Thank goodness. Chris wants me to tell you that he wears a lifejacket when he drinks, too. :) Merry Christmas to you, Amanda, and Callum...hope to see you both after the holidays!

Anonymous said...

Nannie says a glass of bear would be good for my little man,,,,,,, NOT!!!

Can't wait to see him on Friday...

And oh yeah,,,,,,,, collect all my COOKIES!!!!!

Unknown said...

A blog about what everyone will teach Callum could be awesome.