Sunday, November 15, 2009

Books and Books and Books......

My second grade teacher Mrs. Spagna said it best: "Books are friends." The Goldsmiths love books--we love them now, and we loved them when we were growing up. We really hope Callum grows to love reading as well....presently, I would say things are going that way! Haha. I love to read down in the basement in the "den," and here are some of the built in bookshelves we have....

I chose the subject matter of this blog because today we spent a couple of hours at Barnes and Crapble checking out all the "holiday inventory" they had available. Callum just loves poking around the kids section of the store--he plays with the big Thomas the Train table, sits on the mini Adirondack chairs and peruses Elmo books, and asks us (in his own language, of course) to read him books about whales. Whales are still his favorite thing. I can't blame him (for loving books....not whales) because I find myself most interested in kid's and "Young Adult" literature. Maybe this is why I teach English to high schoolers. I love the conferences I get to attend about "YA" books, reading, etc. Also, I love the artwork, storylines, and overall production of kid's books. Here are SOME of Callum's books, on one of the shelves in his room.....
We were going through some of the ones he has "outgrown" today, and looking through all the books just really re-affirmed my love of reading.....AND reading to him. Amanda and I both just love reading books to Callum....we sit in the special "reading chair" in his room (it used to be the "nursing chair") and he is so attentive as he listens and looks at pictures. Usually, he goes and picks out the books he wants to read, and he brings them to us. I have mentioned before how much he loves bikes and bike magazines, and here is a good example from tonight when Amanda was reading to him. He was so engrossed he didnt even know I was there taking the picture!
I have so many great memories of books, reading, and being read to from when I was a kid....young adult literature kicks butt! What are some of your favorites? I remember once, when I was a kid, I got grounded for something, and thus could not watch TV or movies....but I COULD read my books, so it was the best punishment ever! Haha. Here are some of my favorites from when I was a kid:

HENRY AND THE PAPER ROUTE (AND ALL THE BEVERLY CLEARY BOOKS)
TALES OF A FOURTH GRADE NOTHING AND SUPERFUDGE (JUDY BLUME!)
JOHNNY TREMAIN
FALLEN ANGLES (A book about the Vietnam war....wicked awesome)
MR. POPPER'S PENGUINS
FRANKIE THE FIREMAN (had a record that went along with it)
SCARY STORIES TO TELL IN THE DARK
"CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE" BOOKS
SINK IT RUSTY, THE RELUCTANT PITCHER (And anything else by Matt Christoper)
A TALE OF TWO CITIES (I LOVED this book in school!)
WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS

(The following are from Amanda)
THE SADDLE CLUB
NOT BETWEEN BROTHERS
NANCY DREW
HOW TO GROW UP AND DO NOTHING BUT PLAY FARMVILLE
THE RATS OF NYMH
THE RED PONY
BIOGRAPHIES (I loved these too, thanks to Johnny C.....we ate up all there were!)
*Note* Amanda was "not allowed" to read "The Babysitter's Club" books. hmm.....

And, finally, here's our little Gordon's fisherman......

7 comments:

Sally Piles said...

You are NOT funny. 'Not Between Brothers' is a stupid book that I picked up while on vacation when I was in high school and it was a dumb book that I didn't even like. I don't know why you keep making fun of me. I didn't do anything to deserve this.

Also, there is no such book about playing Farmville all day. Look, I would rather have a REAL farm, but I don't. So maybe you should get me a real farm and then I won't play Farmville.

Also, I liked 'The Chosen' and other Chaim Potok books.

jared said...

John, Jay, and Tim should note that the "I didnt do anything to deserve this" from Sally's comment was meant to be read in the voice and tone of Jack Tors from the "Paradise Fat Muffin Man" prank call.....she thought you would like-did that!

Uncle Freddy's Nephew said...

"Here, talk to my father"

Kristin said...

well I liked to read about teenagers that were dying...

also...
babysitters club
sweet dreams

also
Jared used to come up with this idea that he'd read to me every night from a " real" book like Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, it used to last about one night....

ortiz said...

Love the gorton's fisherman!!!!!!

Nannie said...

Hey Callum, you look like your daddy, all dressed up.

Jared, you also liked the Bernstein Bears if I remember. I know Kristin did.

Troll Book club from school, remember that one.

can't wait to see Callum next week, oh ya and you guys too I guess.

Michelle Garner said...

Kristin, I read books about teenagers dying, too. Odd. I DID read the Babysitter's Club (I think I have all of them, Amanda, if you want to read them now - wink, wink!), and I liked Sweet Valley High and the Nancy Drew books.

Maybe you and I should write a book about playing Farmville all day...I wish I had a real farm, too, but we don't, so we're doing the next best thing. :) We like Farmville, and he likes his Mac. It's all relative. ;)