Tuesday, November 3, 2009

NEASC


I have never really written about NEASC (some long acronym for the school accreditation process we do) because it is boring and completely non-entertaining. But, since it has played a significant part in my professional life over the past two years--and will be ending tomorrow--I thought I'd spin a few lines on the subject.

Essentially, every ten years, each high school in Maine must go through an accreditation process. This process ensures that each school is performing well, and is deserving of being a nationally accredited school. The evaluation begins as a "self study," and there are about seven or eight sub committees in the school, each focusing in on a certain area of school culture: Instruction, Physical Plant, Curriculum, School Resources for Learning, Assessment, Administration, School and Community Profile, etc. My colleague Trenton and I were the co-chairs for the instruction committee, and there was a ton of work involved; we were asked to lead a group whose role it was to assess the way our school "teaches." I crafted a 24 page report to submit to the NEASC group, and Trenton was in charge of collecting evidence to support what I wrote.

Isnt this exciting?

At any rate, the culminating experience of the NEASC process is when the visiting team of "consultants" come to observe, interview, snoop around, and report their findings. They arrived on Sunday, which is why I had to work on Sunday (we met them, I was personally interviewed by a consultant, we attended meetings, and we had a reception). During this week, they have been in and out of our classes, shadowing students, popping in to ask me questions, etc.

I have to admit that when this first started a couple of years ago, I was kind of cynical (imagine that!!). But I am actually enjoying this process now that they are here, and the reason is twofold. First, these are all professional teachers, just like me. Who knows teachers better than teachers? It isnt like there's a cadre of suits walking around pretending they know best...ya know? Second, I feel hopeful this process is going to improve our school in the long run because a lot of the negatives that we often complain about are brought out into the open--we aren't "lying" to make ourselves look good. For the most part.....haha just kidding. Issues and concerns about the "management" of the school are put on the table, and hopefully they will be addressed. I feel fortunate to have a job like this; in what other job do they ask the employees what needs to improve....and then improve those things??

Notice I am trying to be positive?

Anyway, it is over tomorrow. Note to self: Ask the guys to go out for a NEASC drink tomorrow afternoon.....

6 comments:

jared said...

wow jared, cool stuff! You've worked hard. You are a true professional. I respect what you do. I'd like to sit down and have a beer with you and talk more about what you do because what you do is so cool and stuff

JR said...

In similar fashion, I tried to tell my wife about this incredible news story regarding tax increment financing districts and how there were very few reporters willing to dig so deeply into the subject. Likewise, I too got an enormous response because matters of public policy are truly fascinating -- as are the people responsible for detailing them.

your stoke hall lover said...

JR, I find you completely fascinating.

And I cant wait to see you in a few months!!

ortiz said...

YAWN!!!!!!!

Michelle Garner said...

Great post, Jared...I actually enjoyed the NEASC visit, too. It was great to talk to other teachers, and I felt comfortable - and confident - knowing that it was teachers who were evaluating us rather than just administration. It wasn't bad at all! :)

On a separate note, Chris told me that you called Amanda, but I didn't have time to listen to the message (Reid had his 6th month check up yesterday with vaccinations, including H1N1), but Chris mentioned something about a craft day. I would LOVE to! When are you thinking?

echoes said...

NEASC for all of its hoops, is a choice the community has to decide upon. The school does not have to be accredited. Some schools have lost accreditation and some choose not to belong to NEASC. We may think its a bothersome, timely, and costly process and we may look upon the recommendations with scorn but if the community wants their kids to graduate from an accredited school, we must do our best meet criteria.