Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Wunderful!




Amanda got an iPod touch for Christmas, and we have been really enjoying it (she lets me use it). We bought it to use almost exclusively for listening to radio stations--with the touch, you can go on the internet (the iPod touch is just like the iPhone...with the exception of the phone part). Since we have the cool docking station, we just stick the ipod into the station, and listen through the speakers. We really enjoy AOL radio and Pandora....but the thing we just cannot get enough of is an application called Wunderradio. It was probably the best 7 bucks we ever spent. Unlike XM, you dont have a monthly subscription....we paid 7 bucks and we were done. Wunderradio allows you to listen to virtually any radio station in the world....in the world!! We have listened to Chinese pop, which is hilarious, and we have checked out German folk music, just because we can. In Maine, your choices are pretty much limited to NPR or country. And although I love NPR, I get tired of hearing Dianne Rehms try to talk, so Wunderradio fills the void nicely. What we've learned is that Canada seems to have the best radio stations in the world. More reason to move to Newfoundland. But what we really love is:
91.9 WUMB (a folk station I used to listen to...Umass Boston radio)
CKUA (a community supported radio station from Alberta Canada that plays amazing jazz)
WLSB (a Copperville, KY station playing bluegrass music)
WSCA (Portsmouth NH's community radio station)

I also love the fact that I can listen to great Boston and RI stations like I used to as a kid--WBRU, for example (Brown University's station) was a mainstay on my dial growing up. In addition to radio stations, you can select programs you like (A prairie home companion, World Cafe, Folk Alley, Weekly top 40, Lady GaGa's show, etc) and it will bring you to the most recent broadcast of the show.

Well worth the money

Hopefully everyone is well. Amanda and I have been doing a bunch of skiing and snowshoeing in the afternoons while one of us watches CS. Hopefully we get more snow soon. And midterms are looming over the campus of WHS. January is always a fast month. Have a good night

6 comments:

aunt june said...

I can't find my iPod touch. Hopefully it's in one of my pocketbooks.

jared said...

in one of your pocketbooks?? So, basically, that means it could be in approximately 438 pocketbooks....

aunt june said...

I guess you could say that! lol

sally piles said...

I hope you find it, Aunt June! I got a new pocketbook for Christmas -- did you hear?

Jared, what is a picture of Brian Peppers doing on our blog????

Anonymous said...

hmmmm, did your pocketbook come from QVC?

sally piles said...

No.