Friday, January 1, 2010

The calm before the (big) storm

Happy New Year everyone. As I write this, it is snowing furiously outside (like it has been since yesterday, starting at about one o'clock), yet, according to the weatheridiots, the "real storm" hasnt even started yet. I dont obsess over weather forecasts like a lot of people do, but this is interesting to watch, since there are really three separate storms that are (and will be) affecting Maine...and one of them will go out to sea, get stronger, and then come BACK to hit us again. At any rate, the National Weather Service has warned Maine to prepare for a snowstorm of "historical significance." Wow. That kind of sounds scary, huh? But we have plenty of wood, DVDs, books, and groceries to get us through. Like I said, it started snowing on Thursday, and isnt supposed to stop until early Monday morning!!!

I spent the morning of New Year's day doing some cross country skiing with Pastor Nielsen, the pastor of our church. We had been talking about going, and the conditions were pretty nice yesterday morning. It was my first time using my "new-to me" skis (friend and blog contributor MET gave me these at the end of last winter), and I had a blast. There are just so many great places to get into the woods around here! Pastor and I went to the "Quarry Hill" woods in Waterville; actually, we started in Waterville, and skiied back into Fairfield. Stunning views, and even groomed trails!! Below, you can see the cleared area where the Colby College Ski Team's tow-rope used to go.....

Pretending I know what I am doing.....but what is interesting to me is the sky: When we started, it was bright and sunny, and we could virtually watch the storm moving in across the horizon...
Last night, being New Year's Eve was a quiet night for the Goldsmiths. We were going to go have dinner with the Pelotte's, but that fell through when it started snowing. But we were also invited over to the Shore's house (the two girls who always play with Callum) to have some drinks and play some Wii. Later that night, Amanda and I played Scrabble. As always happens when I am winning (so, in essence, EVERY time!), Amanda desperately tries to make up points by creating some ridiculous word....and then is ADAMANT that the word exists. Over the years, I have made the following deal with her: She needs to both pronounce AND define the word; if I am impressed, she can have the points. Last night's word, as you can see at the bottom of the board, is pronounced "keck-sance" and is defined as being "very hectic and confusing situation." She even used it in a sentence: "The Goldsmith house was in a Qexonsce on Christmas morning with all those presents!" Whatever.......
Here are Amanda and Callum taking a break from looking at the storm outside....Callum even watched some of "White Christmas" today. He likes the dancing.
Food is a huge component of snow storm lore....and Amanda and I decided to combine talents to make homemade turkey pot pie. I had roasted a turkey breast earlier in the week, and I combined those leftovers with a "from scratch" gravy I made. Amanda made her signature crust, and we baked it in one of the cast iron skillets. It was awesome.
Looking forward to the storm to come.....

2 comments:

belle said...

Callum likes watching the hot babes in "White Christmas" dance and admit it Jared you like it too.

jared said...

oh i absolutely admit it....as I have made very clear MANY times: Rosemary Clooney is one of the most beautiful women to ever live....that is, before she ate herself.