Thursday, May 3, 2012

The calm before the storm

 
 First, a really stellar "town" Callum was working on the other day....


This really is the calm before the storm for me--even the weather has been reflecting this, as the sun has not shown for four days now, and it has been eerily quiet outside. We've had a little rain...a LOT of clouds and overcastness and fog....and a LOT of below normal temperatures; one starts to get the feeling that something is going to happen soon.

In my own life, that is true. This is always the most exciting/stressful/nervewracking/emotional time of the year for me. As a teacher of seniors, May really marks the time of the year when we begin being "done." Forget about teaching the kids anything else--from this point on, if you can keep them in the class, you can call your day a success; the term "damage control" takes on a new meaning, since they are so excited to graduate.

I will only see my senior English and public speech classes six more times each before we start finals, and in that time I need to still have them write two more papers (one of them is a big research term paper). In addition, I have been reading/editing/giving feedback on (literally) probably a hundred scholarship essays for kids (I wonder if gov. LeRage realizes that teachers do things they DONT get paid for doing as well....) Also, for the eighth year in a row, I have been asked to write and perform an original song at commencement at Colby College. I should probably start that soon.

In addition to my role as English teacher, being chair of the English dept is also presenting numerous challenges, especially when it comes to making a schedule for next year when we have literally no budget to speak of. Has anyone ever seen the movie Apollo 13? When the rocket scientists have to make a square fit inside a smaller circle....and they only have a roll of ducktape, a nail, a pencil, and some thumbtacks? Yeah....my job is kind of like that....

Finally, being class advisor for this year's junior class means that co-advisor (and dear friend) Lori and I are responsible for putting on the prom--and this is three weeks away. This stuff is nuts...taking care of all the stuff that goes along with it like DJs, policemen, chaperones, alcohol prevention task forces, tickets, marshalls, decorations, money, and the list goes on and on......

A busy, busy, busy time...and this is just at work. There is still plenty of wood to stack, and winter repairs to make. But I love my life and wouldnt trade it for anything (although a few more acres would be nice!). Before I know it, school will be out and I will start my REAL summer job, which is taking care of my little people.

I find that in these busy times I need to remember not to let work rule me. Because it easily could. I have to meditate on what is truly important, and what will be there LONG after papers are graded, kids have "grinded" to Usher, and teachers are done teaching.......





(Maira obviously belongs here, but she was sleeping when CS and Sally took these the other day......haha)

No comments: