Monday, July 22, 2013

Franklin Maine

Last week we were on vacation at a camp on George's pond in Franklin Maine. SO many things about which to write...so many treasures and so many wonderful moments....there is no way I could encapsulate them all into a blog.....but I thought I would try anyway.....

The cabin on George's Pond is the oldest home in Franklin Maine. Franklin Maine is up north of Ellsworth, headed up 'downeast' to Machias and Cherryfield. The sign entering Franklin says that it is the "Christmas tree capital of the world," but I didnt see any trees of this nature; instead, Franklin is PRIME blueberry barren country (the low bush, wild blueberries grown on these little shrubs that barely get off the ground.....)

Franklin is hard-core ATV country, as the "Sunrise Trail" (a HUGE hundred mile plus trail) heads right through. The streets are very ATV friendly, and there are amazing amazing trails and roads heading all over through the woods. I ran for six days straight, at least 40 minutes per run, and I never saw the same route twice---absolutely amazing!!

The lake was absolutely gorgeous, and Callum spent practically the whole week in the water, graduating to swimming WAY out to the swim float/mat/raft in just his swimmies. He also got in some great kayaking and canoeing with me. I got to paddle at least twice per day, which made me very happy...

Two eagles nest right around the cove from where we stayed--the male and the female. All day they circled the lake and our camp, sometimes very low, and we got to watch the show.....also, they were noisy eagles (what an eerie eerie sound!)

Amanda and Lin got to go to Shirley's, this yarn store ***ORTIZ TAKE NOTE!!*** they have been going to since Amanda was zero years old. Shirley's, I guess, is a famous store selling all kinds of craft notions, gifts, and more. I was happy they got out....

Lin also discovered Scotty's, what is apparently an amazing amazing used book store. I didnt go, because Lin wouldnt let me come (wink, wink, Lin...haha). Now George has to keep consulting and working for another four years because of the bill Lin racked up at the book store.....

Maira played babies all week--a few times with Grampy, a couple of times with BaBa, and a LOT with MeeMee....here, at camp, she discovered the beauteous majesty of 'powder,' and now wants to put powder on all (yes, all) her dolls each night before bed. Also, she makes lists, aloud, of other people she wants to 'powder' when she sees them, including her friends Hannah, Emily, and Abby. She also cant wait to 'powder' Auntie KK's new baby....

#Screens spent the week making hyot spyots with his smyart phyone and hiding behind his headphones with his cute little yaudio byook by Clive Cyussler. He also bought a plunger one morning. And he put out cheese too. And spoke of his "lo-mein exploits." And worked until 3:37 AM. Gorge, let's play Spy Ally soon, okay??

Callum, Maira, BaBa, and Sally played mini golf at Pirate's Cove...it was Maira's first time and she loved it. I went and cheered people on, but did not play mini golf, because I am human being with some code of basic decency. The kids got 'pirate hats' after, and, almost as if she were waiting her whole life for someone to put a pirate hat on her head, Maira IMMEDIATELY raised her right arm ans shouted ARRR MATEYS!!! at the top of her lungs....she then walked through the parking lot and went up to strangers saying the same thing. I have never seen her do this....

SO many more memories that we got to cherish with our children this past week. This was probably one of the best vacations I have ever had; I havent even used that superlative yet, but, now being a couple of days removed from Franklin, I am beginning to think it is true. Utterly beautiful place...and so much solitude. Mark my words: Sally and Jard will buy a camp, somehow, for our kids to have and pass down. Retreats are awesome.

Now if Amanda could have just brought me to Helen's.......

(okay...and now I will go post some pictures...not a lot of them were taken....we took mostly video...which we will put on DVD soon)

No comments: