Saturday, February 22, 2014

February Vacation comes to a close....


This February vacation has been so amazing in so many ways, and I am sorry to see it end. Granted, I am excited to get back to school for what is really the 'final stretch' to get any serioussssss work done (seniors are nonexistent after April...haha), but, sitting here on a peaceful Saturday night, I reflect (seriously....I am not being a wise guy) on how blessed I am to have great friends, a loving wife, and two little rugrats with whom I got to spend some great times this week. 

We had been trying to find a time to have our friends the Hallens and the Carltons over for an 'Olympics Party,' and last night seemed to be the only open slot...haha! We really missed the Hallens, who were dealing with some illnesses, but we were super psyched to have the Carltons over for 'the olympics of pizza,' where individuals competed to see who could make the sickest, illest, most goodest 'za in all the land. Fun times are always had with the Carltons, and make your own pizza was a great activity that I would like to do again...even if I am home alone. The kids never have a bad time with Hannah and Emily--fantastic kids with two fantastic parents! 


The Olympics were 'on,' I suppose,, but there was nothing really interesting going on. Instead, Andy and I had the olympics of growlerdom, the kids played 'store' and legos, and Beth got to share some precious moments with Lupine, who is the reigning olympic gold medalist for sloth....


I was hurting a bit myself, as I had my MRI yesterday with contrast injected into the joint. This renders my arm pretty sore (not sore enough that I still couldnt beat most of you up!) for a couple of days. But the Oxycoakcodonepond helped a ton.....

Today's weather was by JaredStandards absolutely abysmal--sunny and near 50. I hate it. I seriously do. Depresses me immensely. But while Sally and Maira took MeeMee to Target, Callum and I  met Brad, Caden, Mia, and Ethan....along with other friend (and his two kids) for some ice fishing on Weber Pond in Vassalboro. The ice was, by THIS winter's standards, not thick---but it was still about 16 inches!! Many ponds around here are two feet thick with ice!!(how is that global warming workin out for ya??). I didnt trailer my snowmobile over, but Matt had his sled (along with a dogsled he made for it) and he gave the kids rides all afternoon, and they had a blast! Callum is afraid to go pee by himself in the bathroom, but he thinks nothing of standing and riding a dogsled across a lake....

Also, see the ice shack in the background? Matt builds custom shacks. Dad--this is what I was talking to you about. I think the Goldsmiths are gonna buy one of these....this will be another blog post. So stay tuned!!


 Callum LOVES getting out on the ice and we dont do it nearly enough (but we will with the ice shaque!!). He loves the fishing....but he perfectly content to run around and dramatically 'fall' and do snow angels. Also, no ice fishing trip is complete without ninja-weapons, so CS made sure to bring his TMNT sais (spelling??) and numchuks (spelling? too lazy to look....sorry...). LUCKILY, Caden and Ethan had some Nerf tridents and swords, so they had wicked cool ice-ninja wars. And grapes.

Living in Maine is awesome for so many reasons.....


but I DO severely wish my family could be involved in some of the fun we have up here. I miss them a lot lately.

And, finally, here is a pic my friend Dave just sent to me from our snowmobile trip earlier this week....his son Devin took it of us as we stopped right outside Skowhegan High School before crossing a street to go back in the woods. I hope to find someone to watch the kids for a couple of hours tomorrow afternoon so I can take Sally on a little snowmobile ride and have some fun!!!



No comments: