Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Doldrums


That is what I call this time of year, as we are in the final days of February, and about to cross into March. Dont get me wrong--I love the winter more than any other season. But now is the time of year where things are pretty much pointless and frigidly stagnant. Unless we get pounded with a few more storms (which I really hope we do) we are teased beyond belief by mother nature, as light exists longer and longer each day--giving the appearance of a warmer month sort of cycle--but in reality we have this dry, static clingy, bleachedly salted landscape of sterility. Cold with no reason: no snowstorms to really look forward to, and no holidays to warm up the cold feelings. Even church gets it, as we are about to enter Lent, a season of joylessness. AND, even on the days when it does warm up enough to imbue us to go outside, catch some rays of sun, and become hopeful of the impending 'nice' weather, we are treated to a harsh dose of reality when we realize that we have a LOT of muddy, heave-heavy, seepy, sandy, gross dirty snow stuff to deal with. Maine. 

But I was looking back at some pictures--February and March of 09 to be exact--and found some oldies but goodies. Like this one:



He's always had such an amazing smile. And look at the 'stork bite' on his forehead--he has always had that too, and he still has it today, five years later. In fact, it manifests itself the most when he is tired or pissed off about something. Very funny.

And it was five years ago about when I decided--with my friend Eric--to sign up for my first ever 5k. It was run in Rockland on the weekend before St Patrick's day. As you can see, I was just a little bit bigger than I am now.....

My goodness that was a miserable run. Absolutely miserable. I was working out regularly back then....but just doing the wrong stuff, and with hardly any intensity. And my diet was terrible. I'm not going to blame  carbs or gluten or  transfats or all the other things people blame: I just ate a ton. Simple as that. And it was shortly after this when I decided to start to do something about it.

I think the 5K took me about 37 minutes to run. And I had to stop and walk. And my lower back hurt like heck.


Look at this little guy here....I remember this day like it was yesterday. I am hoping to run my next 5k in early March...in Brewer....and hopefully I can work it in before my next surgery. Otherwise I will run it in a sling. #whynot


3 comments:

Blaine Llectin said...

Bouby, I love late Feb and early March out here as it's yousually the best snow time combined with those slightly longer daze. F mud season, that ain't cool.

Anonymous said...

Cute picture of Callum!

Sally Piles said...

I remember when you ran that first 5K. I was so proud of you. And look how far you've come with your running... your 4th half marathon coming up this summer!?! Awesome inspiration for me and the kids!