Saturday, March 1, 2014

Easton, MA 02375

http://www.wcvb.com/chronicle/an-industrious-town/24652792


One of the Boston news stations--Channel 5 to be exact--ran a story about my hometown, Easton, MA, last week. I thought it was neat to see some familiar scenes and places from the town where I grew up.

I have many memories from Easton--some fantastic, and some not--but Easton will always be my 'hometown.'

I think some of my favorite memories from Easton would be:


  • Easton Youth Baseball at the Militia Park field complex (Hurley field, Baxter field, Militia field, etc...)
  • Half days at Easton Middle school (big yellow building) walking downtown to eat lunch at Bill's Pizza and then go check out the latest rookie cards at "the Baseball Corner" card shop, and thennnn over to the Ames Free Library to do the 'project' we lied to our parents about so we could go downtown on the half day
  • When my mom worked at Parkview Elementary school as a secretary and she used to let me bring my bike into work with her in the summer and I used to ride all over the place, all around the side streets of Spooner, Columbus, Lothrop, and more...
  • Meeting Zin _, Jawn, and Efth, three friends who are more than just friends to me in ways they could never imagine
  • Ultimate Wednesdays at Frothingham Park (I invented this guys)
  • HONEY DEW DONUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dunkin what?? Dunkin Donuts doesnt hold a CANDLE to Honey Dew #enjoythelocalflavor
  • The crazy guy in black leather who sold flowers out of his van in the parking lot of the village store
  • Teachers like Mr Chapman, Mr Lemish, and Mr Kent
  • Working Maplewood Restaurant with Jay--hands down the single best job I have ever had in my life (we used to rape the kitchen of the poor owner of that place, which was fine cuz he was a terrible person...we'd fry up lobster, clams, and more....we'd help ourselves...and sometimes we would wait on customers too)
  • Holy Cross Church Peer Ministry--still one of the defining experiences of my life--Rest In Peace Mrs Merriam
  • Rolling Pines--in particular, playing football on the well manicured lawns of the condo complex, only to be yelled at by the 240 pound Irish immigrant woman who took care of the grounds
  • Street hockey at the cul-de-sac at the end of Hilltop Lane
  • Oliver Ames High School-I cannot complain about this place at all as, now working in public schools for 13 years, I can say that OAHS was a first class institution with fantastic teachers and great administrators.
  • The lighting of TheRockery
  • Crescent Ridge with Susie Tuite and Danielle Bosquet--each time I went there with them 'as friends,' I secretly wished I was on a real date with them--I was 'friendzoned' before the word even existed...
  • Sing Yee--how this place continues to still be open certainly defies the laws of physics, space, time, logic, and every other law in the world
  • Stores you dont see anymore: Lil' Peach, Sedell's Pharmacy, Christie's, Dixie's Hit and Putt, Betty Jean Shop, EmpCo II
  • "Easton Jackets." I had a corduroy one, black, with my name on a sleeve and EASTON embroidered on the back...everyone had one. 
PLEASE comment and share your memories of Easton--either on this blog or on FB...it is fun to reminisce....

No comments: