Monday, March 17, 2014

Local Access

Even though I have configured the trailer to bring my snowmobile TO the trailheads around central Maine, sometimes, the way our life is structured, we might only get a random hour or so to hit the snowy pathways and fields; when this happens, it almost isnt worth going through the work of getting the snomobile up on the trailer, secured etc. (getting the snowmobile onto the trailer is actually a pain in the butt). 

Luckily, even though we live right in town and not in the 'woods' we still have a great opportunity for snowmobiling....right across the street. Our neighbor owns a ton of land--connected to a power line trail--that connects to ANOTHER trail that brings you right into the Fairfield town sports fields (see September's blogs about Callum playing soccer...those are the fields of which I speak). I asked permission to ride on his land, in order that I could access some trails, and he was gracious enough to let me. It actually is a win-win situation, since his wife and daughter love to xc ski, and me riding my machine on the trails really packs down the snow for skiiers. 

So, in less than a quarter of a mile from our house, we are privvy to a whole other world of solitude, field, trail, and silence. It is fantastic. I leave from my house, go through the Shores' backyard, go out to the end of Military Ave, and then just have to drive across the street to the Marcoux's place....and poof! Snowmobiling trails. 

The trails go all the way up to the interstate 95 and below you can see a photo I snapped looking out AT the highway....there were no cars going by at the moment of the photo being taken...but you can almost make out the banks on the side of the road. No? If you go way into the woods, there is actually a culvert/tunnel that goes UNDERNEATH the highways. I guess people used to take this on their snowmobiles years ago to access other trails. I am all set for now....haha....I hiked in to find the tunnel once...I like exploring....but I am all set taking an engine under there....too dark..haha




From the top of a 'crusted butte' looking eastward--the cluster of buildings you see in the middle of the photo is Lawrence High School; if you were to put your finger there and go exactly right across the photo, you would, in 810 yards, arrive at our house...haha. On a clear day, from here, you can see some of the windmills that exist on the coast in Freedom and Unity #hippytowns.


Ever since I was a little boy I have loved exploring in the woods; part of the allure, for me, is wondering how trails and old dirt roads got to 'be there' in the first place. Whether it is with my snowmobile, my running sneakers, or my snowshoes, I ALWAYS love finding and exploring a trail. With snowmobiles, I get an extra bonus because, to me, there is just something exciting and beautiful about seeing a freshly packed trail--the outline of the skis...the width of the track...the metal 'picks' in the track that aerate the snow....it is just really exciting because you follow the markings of the last snowmobile that made them...and you wonder where they will take you. Beautiful aesthetics. To me, anyway....(and you can tell from my shadow that YES I was wearing my helmet...)


A glimpse from the other side of the field--now, way up top, you can see the trees that outline the highway...off to the left, where they look scrubbier, you can find trails that head into deeper, more secluded woods; they are beautiful for running or 'shoeing...but too narrow for a snowmobile. But just look at all the tracks that snowmobiles make....a lot of folks use this great area! But, beware: As you might guess from the lack of trees on the large, expansive field, wind is HOWLING most of the time!


No comments: