Monday, March 3, 2014

Two things about coffee, and some other stuff

Maira wasnt feeling well on Saturday....I got to hang out with her....I hate when our kids are sick, but they are so darn cute when they are.


Hey guys, hey. Hey! Hey guys. Guys, hey. Hey guys. Guys! GUYS! Hey. Hey guys. 






You know what is really, terribly, and tearjerkingly sad?? Not the war in Ukraine (even though it is). Not the genocides happening in Syria (even though they are) Not the demise of the polar bears (because who gives a crap about them anyway). What is REALLY sad is the new campaign launched by Dunkin Donuts on Twitter "Share your Dunkin' story!" #mydunkin

What is sad? Perhaps it is fact that some people are so vain that they think their story about how they drink/where they drink/when they drink/with whom they drink coffee is somehow entertaining, meaningful,, or important. They think people care about this. How interesting can a story be about coffee? When I get/drink coffee, there usually is no 'story' involved. Is there for you? I make or buy coffee, I drink it, and I move on. I dont know...Perhaps, though, what is really sad is that it has come to pass that some people actually take time out of their day read stories on Twitter about other people--people they dont know--drinking coffee. Very very sad. Parasocial relationships on meth, if I ever saw it!

I had an idea about how to make K-cups less wasteful and actually more useful! I am going to talk to my colleague Chris who teaches chemistry, but I think I am onto something: What is the white plastic 'cup' of the K-Cup was no longer made of PLASTIC, but, instead, some kind of 'polymer' (I dont know if polymer is the right word...but it sounds chemistry-ish enough) is used...and the polymer itself is made up of some type of solidified 'milk solids' or something like that (hey...if they can condense milk and powder milk and evaporate milk then they can solidify milk...). Then, when the white 'cup' is dropped into the hot liquid coffee, it dissolves, rendering the cream that people use in their drink. Tell me this is an awful idea! What else are we gonna do?

I know I mentioned this on my FB last week, but I am mentioning it on here so I have a record of it :Why do we care so much about saving the polar bears? I mean, they hate us and would eat us if they could. Maybe it is time for them to go. Sorry bears. But seriously, this is the biggest push I have ever seen to save/help something that can offer no oil whatsoever to the United States  But I am serious here: Why are we messing with nature?? Things become extinct, and that is the way it goes. Polar Bears are cute in those Coke commercials, and I wish they were more friendly because I'd love to have one. But what's the big fuss? Should we really be doing stuff to try to preserve animals? Perhaps it is their time. I mean, if we could, would we go back in time and save the dinosaurs too? Things become extinct. Deal with it. Anyone who wants to save species of animals should go read Ray Bradbury's "A Sound of Thunder" (when you're done posting your coffee story on #mydunkin


No comments: