Thursday, May 7, 2015



This photo was taken about seven days ago....the difference that seven days makes. It was actually pretty cold when the kids were playing outside...hence the fleece...and nothing looks 'alive.' In the past seven days the landscape has truly COME ALIVE. I might have to mow the lon this weekend--if I have time :/ But things are turning green and it has been 81 three times this week. It is gross and I CANNOT WAIT for winter. This picture also sounds like the start of a joke: "So there's this kid jumping off a picnic table, and in back of him there's a little girl with a plastic tea cup...."

 
George Kohl was one of the most legendary teachers in the area--he taught at Messolonskee High School (Oakland and Sidney for you non Maine folks...just the next town over...) for years and years and then died, suddenly. The Kohls are members of our church congregation, and, for the past few years, have had a road race to honor his memory and raise money for a scholarship. Each year we have a conflict of schedules...but this year I could run it. I was excited to do so! The race was last Saturday. Below, I am standing with our pastor Paul Nielsen, and fellow friend and congregant Mike Hein. This was before the race.

Okay so I ended up winning my age group (30-40 year olds). I got a medal that Callum immediately stole. But, more importantly, I got to give Julie (the wife of the late George) a huge wet sweaty hug...haha. Julie still teaches match at the high school. Winning the age group was a huge emotional boost for me. I havent written about this at all on the blog, but this winter/spring has been a health-related quagmire for me, and I have been feeling simply AWFUL for quite some time. Shoulder problems continue. Heart issues (going to cardiologist next week). Most likely have a hernia surgery ahead and meet with surgeon next week. New medications causing fatigue beyond belief. Just a crummy past few months. So earning the tiny victory felt nice.


And after the race we went to callum's first soccer game of the season. He is one fast kid! He has these really long legs and graceful stride. I dont notice, fully, until I see him run around OTHER kids. Does that make sense? Anyway, he is having a blast, which is all I care about. And he scored four goals on Saturday! The field--for all you blog regulars--is the one we come out on from the trail across the street from our house...the one we come out on when snowmobiling, that is. Hard to believe that a month ago we probably still could have snowmobiled on this field!!

No comments: