Thursday, April 3, 2008

Hmm . . .what to do . . .


For the past two seasons, Amanda and I have been unable to watch any Red Sox games, for the simple reason that, where we live, we need the "extended cable" package in order to get NESN. We pay 18.07 per month for cable, and it is fine with us, because we dont watch that much TV anyway; all we watch are two "network" shows and QVC, and we get all the channels we need. We get Netflix because, frankly, we love to get movies and tv shows and watch them when its convenient for us. We are three-quarters of the way through "All Creatures Great and Small's" tv series. As are we for "The Unit," NCIS, and "Northern Exposure."


But I need my Red Sox!


But . . . .


This means we'll have to pay 60 bucks a month for cable, versus the 18 that we pay now--and its pretty much JUST to watch the Sox. Can you say "extortion?" However, there are pros and cons. The cons are, essentially, that I dont feel like I should have to pay an outrageous cable bill just to be able to watch my hometown team play baseball on TV--especially when the ticket prices at Fenway are astronomical (IF you can even get them!) I think its ridiculous--and even laughable--when I consider how much these ballplayers make, and I feel like I'm "enabling" them if I suck it up and pay the money to watch them play. Also, with NESN, comes Hazel Mae, the host of "Sports Desk," who just may be the most scathingly annoying woman to ever reside in New England. Guys love her because of her . . .um . . .two large "attributes." But I think she sucks.


On the other hand, though, I just imagine my son growing up without the Red Sox. Just as it is important that we sing and read to him when he's an infant, I also believe that he needs to get used to hearing Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy speak (because lets face it . . .emphysema is going to hit Remy HARD one of these days . . . and he'll lose his voice quick). Televised baseball games are fantastic for a couple of reasons. First, they are on just about every day, so you can always count on the instant gratification of getting to watch a game. This, of course, is unlike football, which only plays once a week, and virtually takes up an entire DAY. Second, the games are "user friendly" enough to "be" whatever you want them to be. Want to have the guys over, drink some beers, and scrutinize each pitch? Perfect. Want to watch some of the slow-moving game, flip to another show, and then come back to the baseball? Great! You probably wont have missed much. Or, if you are like me, you can just keep the game on while you work around the house; it provides an excellent background mix of sounds and images that are about as synonymous with spring, summer, and the "rite of passage" we call coming of age as anything I can think of . . . .


No. I cannot have my boy not having the Red Sox

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Why are you so hung up on watching the Sox? You should be lobbying your cable company to broadcast the Phillies anyway . . ."

Anonymous said...

I understand your frustration - my son and I still talk about baseball almost more than anything else, and some of my greatest memories are of both going to Fenway with him, and sitting on the couch watching the Sox. If it were me, I would get NESN...but my boy is grown up, I've been a Nats fan since the move, and I still get NESN, but never watch it. I certainly wouldn't lobby to get the Phillies - since they lost 2 out of 3 at home to the Nationals. hehehehe

Anonymous said...

I agree with everything you said except Hazel mae, I think she is sexyGo for it, I don't think you will regret it. As an added bonus you will get some other good channels, The history channel, discovery and the food channel.

Anonymous said...

He might not even like baseball, he may be into more musical types of things like HATS

But you can afford cable, your rich and you have four wheel drive

Unknown said...

Are you going to watch the Red Sox with your Phillies hat on? What about when they play interleague, are you going to switch hats depending on which team is winning?

Belle said...

I feel the same way about not being able to watch my Yankees!

On another note did you both watch the Office last night?

Maher said...

It's $60 just for NESN or does that include other channels? Do you want to miss another world series season? I agree, Hazel Mae sucks.

Anonymous said...

Wow - a cell phone and extended cable both in the same year. I'm shocked.

Anonymous said...

Bout time.

Anonymous said...

I am trying to talk Uncle Bob into getting the sports channels so I can watch the Phillies. YA, GO PHILLIES!!!!!!!!

Belle said...

Hi Amanda and Jared!

Sorry I didn't call tonight but we were out at Legends for pizza. I'll give you guys a call tomorrow sometime. I was thinking of you tonight because I drove past Deb's (remember the little ice cream shop in our town) and it was packed and I thought about how we went there after our delicious crab and seafood dinner that Steve Cee made.

Hope you have a good weekend!

Unknown said...

This is a great blog, usually i don't post comments on blogs but I would like to say that this post really forced me to do so!

Asphalt Paving Alexandria & Paving Fairfaxtequ

Anonymous said...

i just want to thank you for sharing your info.

Excavating New Hampshire & Sealcoating New Hampshire