Saturday, April 5, 2008

Primed For Spring

This picture was taken exactly one year ago today . . .and spring still came last year. So, I guess there is reason to be hopeful. I remember I had a snow day (my final one last year) and Sue and Eric's son Jackson and I made one pathetically awesome snowman. Looking outside today, it is definitely apparent we have less snow on the ground than we did when this picture was taken. But I guess that's the thing about a tough Maine winter--it really primes you for spring; you find yourself overjoyed at the sight of anything "green" growing . . .
Speaking of being "primed" (Double Entendre--go English Major!!) today Amanda and I set off to finish prepping the bean's room to be primed and then painted. Amanda had a "tad" bit more stripping to do, but first I attacked the spots I mudded last week with the sander (please notice the misplaced modifier in this sentence . . .I'm feeling very Englishy today). Last week, Karl and I tried to fix up the large space in between the ceiling and the chimney, and below you can see me trying to smooth around it. Also, there were some gouges, nail holes, etc. that I needed to "mud." Naturally, dust went everywhere . . . .but have not fear--Amanda was NOT allowed in the room until the dust had settled and I vacuumed it all up (in other words, she didnt inhale any of the sheet rock crap that diffused across the room . . .I'm a good husband) Oh, and for all you smartasses that are going to say "how did she take the picture then??? hmmm??" I will say to you that I had JUST started. Our friends Chris and Michelle came over to join the painting party, and they were exceptionally helpful. Michelle, a colleague of mine, is one heck of a painter, and both her diligence and "know how" allowed us to prime the whole room in about 2 hours. Below, Chris "cuts" into the ceiling. We had a good time, and I would say I capitalized on roughly 348 opportunities to say "that's what she said."
Am I admiring Michelle's lofty paint strokes, or her beautiful eyes? I guess we'll never know. But one thing I DO know is that I have a really attractive sweat stain across my solar plexus. With the wallpaper steamer going (plus the fact that I was in the room) it was pretty darn hot in there!
Amanda didnt make it into any of the pictures because she was taking them of everyone else . . .but I'll be sure to post some as we finish the actual "painting" part of the room. She picked out some really beautiful colors and I know she is going to make our son's room look truly magnificent--she is really good at decorating! We did some good work today--and we had fun doing it! Thanks Chris and Michelle. Just send us your bill, okay?

7 comments:

Michelle Garner said...

Jared and Amanda...we had so much fun helping you guys paint today. If you want help next Saturday putting the color on his walls, just give us a call - we're more than willing to help out! Maybe this time, we could bring lunch with us!

Anonymous said...

You think next time you could give Michelle a BIGGER brush?

Unknown said...

Ja, I'm going to need some tapers (the industry standard name for people who mud and sand) in about 2 years time. I'll come calling.

Michelle Garner said...

Good point! (What the blog doesn't tell you is that we found some "bigger brushes" a bit later, and they worked much better! You can see how much work Jared was doing... ;)

Anonymous said...

jared looks like a good supervisor
I hope u bought michelle and chris a hot dog party pizza

We are off to the zoo, maybe well get a tiger for the little man

Check out our blog
byeeeee

Anonymous said...

Jared, clearly you've gained weight.

Anonymous said...

southside, why would you even say that? do you have any social skills? what is your problem?