Monday, February 16, 2009

PILTDOGS Part 2

Today's PILTDOGS (Places I love that don't often get seen) pays homage to Joseph's Market on Front Street in Waterville.

I think, lately, my body has been "possessed" (and I dont mean in a bad way) by the "original" Papa Goldsmith--Charlie Goldsmith. As a boy, I used to hear him talk INCESSANTLY about the great buys he got on meat and produce at the various "mom and pop" grocery stores around Mass. Pursuant to the "Rite Aid" letter, I abhor those "big box" conglomerates and I try to stay away whenever I can. Papa Goldsmith used to talk about this store in Quincy--Roxy's, it was called. Roxy's used to have super-duper buys on all kinds of meat....in fact, as a boy, I used to take my Fisher Price video camera and pretend it was a price gun. I'd walk around the house with my "gun," repeating "MARKIN' DOWN THE PORK CHOPS, MARKIN DOWN THE PORK CHOPS!"

Joseph's market is awesome, notwithstanding the fact that their quality is unparalleled and they are a family business for over 80 years. In addition to that, Kevin is always giving you "deals," and I genuinely look forward to going in there because the folks who work there are so wonderfully friendly and helpful, and I find myself learning something new each time I go!

During the middle of January, I signed up for one of the "meat preparation and cooking" classes Kevin was offering (Kevin Joseph now owns the store). I haven't written about it yet, but I thought I would tonight. It was a fantastic class, and I (think) I learned a ton about how to be a better cook, pick out better meat, prepare it well, and save some cash! The class met on Wednesday nights at 630 (after the store closed), and there was even a syllabus (we teachers love those!). We started the week with chicken, learning how to properly debone, handle, etc. I ended up learning how to make a KILLER cordon bleu. The second week involved pork, and I learned how to correctly pick out a roast, how to crown it, etc. I missed the third week because I was sick (and Kevin is going to let me make it up soon), but it involved the "cheaper" cuts of beef. And, last week, we had our final class....the "prime cuts." For this class, Kevin ended up giving one of his delicious prime ribs to Eddie at "George's Restaurant" in Waterville. He cooked it for us, while the rest of us brought Hillman's pastries, Lebanese salads, rices, etc. And oh yeah....we had like 7 bottles of wine! Below, some of the members of the class "dig in" to some of the delicious pot luck. You can see the store in the background. We met "behind" the case, and I felt like I worked there! As you can see, its a small, adorable little store. I swear that 90% of the class were Waterville area Realtors! In fact, the woman second from the right is Patrice, the lady who sold us our house! I caught her at a great moment, and I'm sure she'd love this picture!
Kevin cuts up the beautiful piece of meat he had prepared. Kevin is a pretty extraordinary guy who is smart as heck about meat and meat preparation. Furthermore, he's a philantrophist, donating all kinds of money, food, and time to the local homeless shelter. Kevin told us some history of the shop, and how his family emigrated from Lebanon almost one hundred years ago--the store has been in the family ever since!

Batman has his Robin, Cheney has his Bush, A-Rod has his Balco, and Kevin has his own sidekick--Danny. Danny is, himself, quite the man when it comes to meat....and he gave me a great recipe for my chitterlings (put the chitterlings in a pot of water, add 5 rocks, bring to a boil, simmer for 3 hours, throw out the chitterlings and eat the rocks!). Danny is also an outstanding food "stylist," which you will see in a moment. Below, he teaches some of us the differences between NY Sirloin and Porterhouse steaks (the difference is the absence of the tenderloin, just so you know!).
Danny "carves" scenes out of fruits and vegetables (he taught us all how to make a chicken out of a squash, some carrot pieces, and a couple of cloves), and he created his masterpiece for us last Wednesday. Isnt this amazing? He taught himself how to do this, and he just does it for a hobby. Enlarge the picture so you can see it better....


In case you're having trouble, from left to right you've got things like a BBQ, a whale with a fish in its mouth, palm trees made out of carrots and green peppers, a waterfall slide made out of aloe, a summertime fun guy made out of mushrooms, etc. I dont think pictures do it justice....




I've been behind in the blogs lately....there needs to be one about our snowshoe trip last Saturday (and a chitterlings update!), our visit with Jon and Mel when they stopped over, and one dedicated to some new meanderings I have...
Amanda will be doing a blog tomorrow (I think...that is what she said anyway) because I am headed "upta camp," as they say in Maine. I am going with my friend Tony and some other friends up to Detroit, where we'll snowshoe, snowmobile, play Axis and Allies, enjoy my pulled pork (shut up Jay) and supposedly stake out coyotes.....but dont tell my mom that.....


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

you seem to excell in your blog when you talk about food,you are just like your father!The prime rib looks perfect, stick a fork in it and you can hear it moo.

Anonymous said...

You mainers have way tooooo.....
much time on your hands.

Anonymous said...

is the lady in the vest Lynn?

Michelle Garner said...

We LOVE Josephs...it's the only place that Chris will buy meat, and it's ALWAYS good quality. He was really bummed that he couldn't take that class with you...maybe that'll be the topic of our next get-together?

Anonymous said...

i remember Roxy's. i would have to agree with anonymous #2: preparing meat, penning poignant editorials. aren't you supposed to be teachin?

Anonymous said...

I'm on vacation......

Anonymous said...

so is that Lynn or what?

Anonymous said...

Um, hello! My mom isn't that old, she's skinnier than that, and she would never wear a vest like that or those two colors together... Come on, Johnny Sprockets. I forgive you because you have only seen pictures of my mom -- have you ever met her in person? I can't remember...

Anonymous said...

my bad, yo. i didn't know they meant your mom. Yes, I met her at the weddin.