Saturday, February 28, 2009

Winter Carnival 2009

Here we go Raiders, here we go!!!

All during this past week (well, except for Monday because we had a snow day) The student senate at WHS ran the annual winter carnival. As the advisor to student senate, this made for a VERY busy and high energy week for me....and I have to say I am glad that it is over. But it was a great week indeed! During the week, classes competed in a myriad of competitions, both indoor and outside. Inside, we had trivia, basketball, volleyball, dodgeball, and mini-pong, while outside we had dogsled races, snow soccer, egg toss, and (my personal favorite and subject of last year's blog about carnival) snow fort building!

Yesterday was the grand "culmination" of the week, when I ran a big school-wide assembly for all the "championship" events between classes. The senior class ended up winning with something like 470 total points....beating the juniors by WELL over 200 points. Funny how that always happens. Hmmm.....

So, after lunch, I took off my "teaching clothes," and slipped into my "I THINK WINSLOW HIGH SCHOOL IS GREAT" T-shirt.....and the fun began.

Here is my senior honors English class, shortly before we all went down to the assembly. Each class dressed up in their respective colors--the seniors, obviously, having the luxury to dress in WHS regalia. If you blow up the picture, you can see not only an enlarged photo of Mister C.S. Goldsmith sticking his tongue out at the class, but also Nana Courtney's famous old Moxie sign.... Michelle took my camera for the assembly, and took lots of pictures. Here is me beginning the assembly, as I stand in front of the "senior section." Look at all that "Black Raider Pride."

The order of the assembly was volleyball finals, dodgeball finals, girls basketball, boys basketball, tug of war, and the eating contest (I'll post pictures later about the eating contest). I love the tug of war, because its a battle among all four classes. Its all-out-war when I shout "go!"
Is that me getting upset????? Me??????????
Let's just say we were under a time constraint, and the kids didnt have their "stuff" together, as they should have, when it came to deciding teams.....

Here we are setting up for the big climactic "tug." The school is very embracing of the winter carnival, since it exponentially amplifies school spirit. That being said, I can always count on our great faculty to help out! The teacher in red is the dear Lori Loftus, and standing right to the left of her is fellow English dept colleague Zach. The guy in the suit behind Loftus is the legendary (for his cooking, classes, and candor) Wickman, and to the left of him is some homeless guy we picked up outside the coffeeshop in Vassalboro. No....it is Dr. Dave.

What am "I" doing in this picture? Oh...ya know....just explaining to Ms. Pierce how the teams are to be set up. The four fingers she is holding up represent the number of the people in the whole school who respect me.....haha
AND THEY ARE OFF!!!! The objective was the pull the other team "across" one of the orange lines. Below, Zach Longyear poses as the perfect line-judge.


(The blue team won)

I'll post some pictures later of the eating contest....a total sideshow in itself

3 comments:

Michelle Garner said...

Wow...your photographer is amazing! :) You did a great job, Jared, and everybody had a great time. Hope you guys are enjoying your weekend...big snowstorm tonight, and I'm predicting no school tomorrow! :)

Anonymous said...

Jared how come you didn't have some orange stipped stockings on, they would look cute on you!Looks like a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

Jared how come you didn't have some orange stipped stockings on, they would look cute on you!Looks like a lot of fun!