Monday, August 24, 2009

The first day of school, a gardener, and an old friend

all walk into a bar.....

Sounds like the beginning of a joke, but I thought a good title for this post. Today was the first day of school for faculty at WHS. Each year we go back earlier and earlier....I think the plan is that eventually summer vacation will disappear altogether... and, since it has been getting shorter and shorter each year, we wont even notice. I look forward to going back to school. I love my job and I love teaching and I love my students. But I hate all the first few days and all the "education"theory and political stuff. I love "teaching," but I dislike "education." Does that make sense? I know this won't sound right to many. Oh well. At any rate, today was excruciating for me because I had to bring Callum back to daycare. It is really good for him to socialize a few days a week, but it is really hard for me because I got to spend all summer with my little guy. PLUS, whereas Amanda will bring him and I will pick him, I told Amanda I would bring him AND pick him up for the first couple of days. This is because I knew he would be a wreck, and (and no disrespect to me! haha) I knew it would be easier with ME leaving him than "mumma." Let's face it....little boys just like their moms better when they are one. I can deal with that. But I say today was excruciating for me because as I got back into the car to drive away, Callum was at the screen door of the daycare house, both hands pressed up against the screen, face red and teary....and I could make out his lips mouthing "dada....dada...." over again as he cried. It was awful. But this is good for him. Or something.

On to the garden part.

Amanda grew a small garden this year, and Callum has enjoyed picking the tomatoes and peppers because he thinks they are "balls" for him to play with. He goes over and repeats "boh...boh...boh" (Callumish for ball) over and over again. Here is the happy little gardener with an absolutely not ready to be picked yet green pepper...
And here he is, carrying his fresh produce back into the house.....
As a side note, Callum enjoyed his first ear of sweet corn tonight. THAT was hilarious. Our good friend (and my musical mentor) Craig Werth stopped by last week! Craig is a very special person in the lives of Jared and Amanda Goldsmith. Back when we were wee little tykes at the University of New Hampshire, Craig was our boss at "Wolfe House," which is the Center for Academic Resources. Sally and I were counselors and Academic Mentors. Craig, the finest singer songwriter I know, was integral in getting me to "breakout" of my musical shell, bringing me to play at my first handful of coffeehouses in Portsmouth NH. A former counselor, management consultant, teacher, professor, and anything else you can think of, Craig now spends his time "on tour" full time with Juno Award (Junos are Canadian Grammys) winning singer and songwriter David Francey. Together, they play in Newfoundland, Australia, Scotland, England, Canada, and anywhere else people enjoy good music. On a brief "furlough" between tours, Craig went to visit his parents in Houlton, Maine, and stopped by for the night to visit us!
It was Craig and Callum's first meeting, and as you can see they really hit it off! Both are VERY musical (in their own way). Below, Callum demonstrates to Craig how to do that 50's dance move "the swim."



A visit from Craig wouldnt be complete without music. We often play together: He has accompanied me on my CD demos, I have performed singing backup and playing for him, and he has joined me on stage at my gigs. An outstanding creative force, he is always expanding his instrumental collection. From mandolins to bazookies (spelling??) to Appalachian Dulcimers, there is always something going on. This time it was a banjo, and he let us in on his most recent piece... The music was so wonderful that Callum decided to wake up at 11:30 to listen! HA HA. Craig was a great sport, even letting Callum play around with his banjo and ukulele. Or however you spell it.
Craig had to leave the next day to begin a tour in Toronto and some other Canadian destinations. But we hope to see you soon Craig!




4 comments:

Michelle Garner said...

Fantastic post - I love the picture of Callum running through the garden. Very cute! :)

Nannie said...

Like father like son.

He will be ok, it is harder on the parents leaving thier kids than the kiddies.

Children have a great way of making their parents feel GUILTY!!

CC said...

Nannie is right. Kevin did that to me once and before I could even get to work and call (before cell phones) and check on him, he was off playing and was fine.

Unknown said...

The tomatoes no good they went bad.