Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Oh, Newfoundland....

This is "Seaside Restaurant," which I write about later....


A fjord on "Ten Mile Pond" in Gros Morne. Amanda and I hiked this. Guess why it is called ten mile pond? Yup. You got it.

This is "Bottle Cove," which is at the end of the Humber Arm river. This was very, very close to our condo and we hiked around here often....




Amanda and I have been thinking a lot about Newfoundland lately, mostly because our viewing of the movie "The Shipping News" has rekindled a love for a beautiful place. Have you seen the movie? If you have not, and want a strong, heartwarming, profound story, get the DVD and watch it! Kevin Spacey and Judy Dench star, and they are two of the best actors around, for my money!








When we got married, we took our honeymoon in Newfoundland, staying at a condo in Steady Brook, which is near the "city" of Cornerbrook--it is on the west coast, right on the Humber Arm river. We spent a marvelous week there, hiking, looking at some of the angriest seas I've ever seen, exploring Gros Morne Park, and eating the freshest seafood ever! At some point, I should take some of our honeymoon photos, scan them into our computer, and post them (we took our pictures on an "old fashioned" camera...haha








We are adamant about going back to Newfoundland someday--this time, we'd like to visit the east coast and the town of Saint John. The island is amazing and beautiful, and the people there are fantastic. You've got cultural music, a national rum (Screech...which you can now buy at Hannaford), fresh seafood, and kind people. They even have their own "time," which is called "Newfoundland Time," and is an hour later than Nova Scotia and PEI's "Atlantic Time."








"The Shipping News" is a Pulitzer Prize winning book, and I read it while we were on our honeymoon. I can't say I recommend the book: It is REALLY jumpy, vague, and confusing. The screenwriter did a fantastic job adapting the book, and most of the filming is even done in Cornerbrook!! Yeay!








I have so many great memories of the island, but a funny story is this: After hiking around Gros Morne Park one afternoon, we ate at a great restaurant called "Seaside Restaurant." Nothing could be more true; the restaurant was RIGHT on the water (on stilts, actually). I ordered "Wolf Fish," which has been popularized in the past few years due to the fact that Wolf Fish feed on lobsters--thus, their filets have a slight lobster flavor. The waitress, in her true Newfoundland laconic, apologized for the wait for our meal. "Sorry. It is 'really' fresh, so it will be right along." What she meant, we later found out, was that the fish was "so" fresh that it was just unloaded from the boat, alive, and had to be cut and filleted! People are funny there.....








Oh yeah, and I got a parking ticket with a notice that failure to pay would result in a summons before "The Queen's Court." Obviously I found this hilarious and didnt pay....but Enterprise Rental just charged my credit card. Too bad...I was really looking forward to seeing those judges with their powdered white wigs! HA!








Go see "The Shipping News."

9 comments:

belle said...

Thanks for sharing. I never did get to see the pictures from your honeymoon. Would love to hear more about it. You should plan to go back for your 10 year anniversary.

belle said...

P.S.
You should bring home a newfie too!

jared said...

thanks belle!

i forgot to tell you: my comment on your facebook wall about how "this isnt over" and such WAS a joke (in case you hadn't figured that out!)

aunt june said...

I know where you can get a newfie. When I come up in November we will have to visit the puppies!!! Callum would love to have a pony

amanda said...

I want to go to Newfoundland again very soon... I absolutely loved it there. When can we go back, Jared? I want to share it with Callum.

And yes, a Newfie puppy would be a great addition to our family, don't you think?

Great blog, Jared. It brings back so many good memories. I can't believe we'll be married 6 years this year...

met said...

1. I love the movie. "You don't know Newfoundlanders..." When she pees on the ashes is one of the great scenes in all of film.
2. How do you bring out such hate in people?? 18 comments on your last post?
3. I'm not trying to defend the gutless dork who leaves the stupid comments - but the toll is not for 295. Its for the turnpike. That road shares with 95 until Gardiner. If you stayed on the pike you would go to Lewiston. To avoid the toll get on 295 in "Tilbury Town." (I'm assuming as an English teacher you understand this.)
4. Sorry I'm going to miss your race this weekend...but not real sorry.

aunt june said...

Jared, good luck this weekend

belle said...

Oh now I know why you didn't want to make the trip to Jersey, you have a big race this weekend. Good luck!

jared said...

I dont have any race actually. I WAS going to run the Whitefield 5K (back when MET invited us to brunch and such). But now that he has withdrawn that offer, I am not running it. Ha Ha.

Plus, I hurt my foot

BUt thanks for your well wishes!