Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Okay, I'm bragging.....



I'll admit it. I am going to brag about Callum for a little bit if that is okay. Or, even if it isnt. Each and every day, Amanda and I just continue to be in awe of the things he says, does, and remembers. Callum goes to daycare a couple of days per week with a woman named Grenda. Grenda is a (very old school) retired junior high English teacher. The kids she watches are all Winslow "faculty brats," so to speak, since each one has a parent who teaches in the Winslow system. Since retiring, Grenda has been doing this daycare for 16 years, and the other day she paid Callum a high compliment, telling me that never in all her years has she seen a kid of Callum's age with the language, verbal, and articulation skills he has! We were so proud of him! He is quite the wordsmith, sometimes stringing together even four word sentence-type things. From an English scholar's point of view, I am amazed at the little nuances he picks up, such as quantifying things with plurals, knowing tenses, and doing things like knowing that ONE is a "mouse," but MORE THAN ONE is "mice."

Furthermore, his memory skills continue to--dare I say---scare us! He has only met Aunt June and Uncle Bob like twice...but he picks them out in pictures. And here's something: A few weeks before Christmas, Amanda took Callum to the post office to mail something. There, they had special padded decorative envelopes with pictures of Mickey Mouse and Pluto on them. So this was during the second week of December. YESTERDAY (yesterday was March 1), Callum returned to the post office with Amanda for the first time since that day in December, and before they even got out of the car, he pointed to the building and exclaimed "MOUSE!!"

Okay. Just wanted to brag a bit about our son. We both work really hard with him, and we are very proud of him. Here are some Callum superlatives as of late:

FAVORITE FOOD(S): Oatmeal, M&Ms, Mexican rice (tonight he had FOUR bowls), peas, Special K cereal
FAVORITE RESTAURANTS: Governor's (for the train, of course), Cancun Mexican Restaurant, McDonalds
FAVORITE SONG: Away in a Manger, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Elmo's World, and "Down" by Jay Sean (featuring Lil' Wayne)
FAVORITE BOOKS: (this one was tough...if I had to narrow it down to four....) Goodnight Maine, Peedee (a goose), Goodnight Moon, Thomas the Train stories
FAVORITE TOY: 2010 Hess car Papa gave him
FAVORITE POSTMODERN PLAYWRIGHT: Samuel Becket
FAVORITE SPORT: Skis (he loved the Olympics) hockey, football
FAVORITE JERKY BOYS SKIT: New Awning
FAVORITE ACTIVITY: climbing up and down stairs
FAVORITE ALL AROUND THINGS IN THE WORLD: Tie: Trains and Bikes

9 comments:

Tim said...

I share his passion for New Awnings.

Sally Piles said...

He even says 'Down, Mike!'

He is very smart, but at the same time he is still a 1 1/2 year old little boy and he acts like it too. He's the best.

Mel said...

awww, I enjoyed this post!

Mee Mee the proud said...

BRAG ALL YOU WANT!!! You have a lot to brag about. Callum IS the best (says a proud MeeMee). It amazes me how much he changes and says every week when I see him. But not only that, he is the cutest with the most fun personality!!!! I could go on and on but I'd just embarrass myself. He's such a "little moo".

belle said...

What can I say he takes after his big cousin Emma.

belle said...

You forgot favorite sports team: Yankees

ortiz said...

Nothing wrong with bragging, I still brag about you and Kristin all the time.How can he not be smart, look at his whole family!!!

echoes said...

I heard him say "that's what she said once".

Mee Mee said...

Echoes,
That is so funny! It gave me quite a laugh. I can just picture it and it could happen one day. Callum does like to repeat what you say. We'd all better be careful!