Monday, March 15, 2010

Rivers and Platters

This is not the seafood platter I had tonight....The one I had was probably three times as big. I am totally serious. Dad and Jay: I almost called you I was so happy. I wanted to share this moment with you guys.

Let it be known: Helen's restaurant of Machias, Maine has THE premier seafood platter. In the world. My dinner was not fried; instead, I elected to get it broiled with their special "onion ritz stuffing." Unreal. I had piles of haddock, Maine shrimp, Maine scallops, and Maine clams (those were fried). What's neat is that all the shellfish came from Harrington, a town up the road; they use all local stuff (mostly because no wholesaler will deliver up here...haha).

Things are going well with my curriculum committee. My partner Ryan and I are very much in tune with each other, and we communicate super well. Because of this, we have virtually finished our preliminary report, which is a big deal for it only being Monday night. Today was very tiring, as we were in meetings SOLIDLY from 6:30 this morning all the way until 4:45 this afternoon. Then we had dinner and met again until about 1030.

I forgot my camera, but here are some pictures of me (taking my picture with the "photobooth" program of my Mac) standing on my hotel room porch....kind of a beautiful view, no?
Obviously, it is low tide on the Machias River (actually it is more like an estuary). The highlands in the background are Roque Bluffs.
The Machias River is an excellent river to fish, or so I have been told. Phenomenal salmon runs I guess.

Have a great night.

3 comments:

ortiz said...

Why woud I make a comment,everyone would just make fun.

Sally piles said...

Aww... don't be sore, Ortiz.

Jared - you have a great view from your hotel room! I wish that Callum and I were there with you! We'll have to take a trip up there this summer. I'm teaching Callum to say 'Machias'.
Glad to hear that your work is going well! You're the best!

Southside JubJub said...

DH, relax baby...We love.

Ja, send me some of that platter.