Monday, July 30, 2012

Mooselook Part 2

Sorry....no Maira pictures in this post...I think that these were all taken while she was napping. But here are some more hi-lights from our week!

I love this picture:


I love when Callum and Maira just use their imaginations and play by themselves for a while. Not only does this give mom and dad a rest (haha) but also, it is really great for us to be observers watching Callum and Maira use their imaginations. Callum REALLY got into his cars this week, and he would drag his big mat onto the porch and play with his hotwheels, narrating little stories, posing conflicts, resolving differences between rival car factions, and basically fixing a wonderful little Matchbox world. All in ten minutes. Maira, on the other hand, really got into pouring water from one container to another, and then saying ANENNNN (Mairish for AGAIN) to me ad nauseum. In addition to cars and water pouring, both kids got really into loons and ducks. Callum and MeeMee would make up loon stories together, using wooden decoy loons as props....very cute.

Here are two big hams: BaBa and Callum.....BaBa went for a two-plus mile walk each morning, treated us to some hardcore submarine music on the Bose radio, and read faster than I have ever hoped to read in my life. He also fell asleep a lot while reading. Also, he drank lemonade and vodka cocktails. Its all gold. (note Callum's submarine shirt)



On Wednesday, Amanda, Callum, and I went and hiked 2500 foot high Bald Mtn. I am proud to say that Callum climbed this mountain ALL by himself--and there were some seriously arduous sections of bouldering, shimmying up skree, and climbing around roots. He hiked with great aplomb, and we are proud of him. Then, on the way down, he feel asleep while being given a piggyback by Amanda. Note the double sweatbands on his wrist. OH, and did I say the hike was only Amanda, Callum, and I? FORGIVE ME!! Also in attendance, as you can see in the picture, was CampCabin, Callum's aptly named toy lobster.


On top of the mountain there was a firetower. I have RARELY in my life with Callum seen this kid so giddy and excited about climbing up the 8 flights of stairs to the top of the tower. He LOVED it. Here is the view from the top, looking out on Mooselookmeguntic Lake. There are a couple of big islands in the lake. I think the one you can see is called Student's Island.


Happy mommy and Callum. Also of note was that, as we neared the top, the sky opened up like crazy, and it rained and rained and made the rocks very slippery. It was kind of scary and it made me nervous. But all was well!


We had a week-long ongoing Scrabble game NOT in 'real time.' It was a leisurely pace, and people had an hour or so to GO when it was their turn. This made the game pretty relaxed. Callum showed great interest in the game for real! In fact, he and CampCabing teamed up and had their own rack of letters, and they played a couple of good rounds, scoring a sixteen point word at one point! I hope CS gets really into Scrabble....I love this game and no one plays with me. Actually, Amanda does, but she is only good for like 12 minutes, and then she starts making up words like, and I am totally serious here, "Curnavelhukel.'


5 comments:

sally piles said...

Um, 'Curnavelhuckel' was when we were playing that card game called...I can't remember. It's like Scrabble but with cards. I couldn't play a word as long as 'curnavelhuckel' in scrabble. you only get 7 tiles.

The Goldsmiths said...

The game was called QUIDDLER

go do your work so you can come home and rub my feet, cook me dinner, and love me

sally piles said...

Okay! In that order?

MeeMee said...

Hi!

Excuse me, but you failed to mention that I Won that scrabble game!!! Not bad for just a Mee Mee.

It was a Wonderful week and so much fun! I loved being with everybody and especially Callum and Maira. Thanks, Jared, for doing the cooking! You're the best!

2KIT said...

Quite a few pics taken during what was allegedly only 4 hours of Maira sleep.