Thursday, August 9, 2012

Mt Desert Island with the Fitzpatricks

Anyone who knows anything about the Goldsmiths knows that Mt Desert Island is our favorite place on earth....it is so special in so many ways, and it is our fervent desire to share it with everyone who is important to us (which is why I keep harping on my parents to make it up that way...haha). We were lucky to share a wonderful MDI experience with our dear friends the Fitzpatricks. They are an exceptionally special family and we love them dearly. We camped at Bass Harbor Campground (which has changed A LOT in the last few years....for the worse....and we will not be back) for two nights, and, if I do say so myself, it was a fantastic time--even if the camping wasnt the best, it was great to share time with friends.

It was WICKED HOT. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate the summer?

On the way up on Saturday, we stopped at the Seawall Campground picnic area for, well, a picnic. We ate and the kids IMMEDIATELY got to work; it is amazing how, in my experience, little boys inherently know how to do two things: Play with cars and make car noises, and explore rocks with great ardor (English teacher note: it is the kids who have the ardor....not the rocks....hehe). Callum, Caden, and Mia (and even Maira) were off to the races exploring the rugged coastline, rocks, tidepools, etc of the shore. It was just great. Callum, adorned with SnuffleJared, his penguin puppet, spent a goodly amount of time trying to 'sneak up' on seagulls....good times.

One of my favorite parts of the camping experience (shut up Amanda!!) is just hanging out at the site. On Friday night I heated up some of my homemade baked beans, and I grilled up some hot dogs. Caden and Brad made bracelets, and $a$ha taught Callum how to play checkers! Oh, and Brad and I drank ice beers too.



 Trivia question: What is the most photographed lighthouse in the world? FACT: Bass Harbor Lighthouse. The lighthouse is about a 15 minute walk from the campground, so we went exploring on a VERY hot Saturday morning. I wont even try to describe the beauty of the rugged coastline. You just have to make the effort to see it for yourself. It will take your breath away. Please take note of the 'emergency whistle' from our camping box, which Callum wore around his neck all weekend. While CS stood on this 'memorial bell,' he would hold the whistle up to his nose, turn around slowly, and pretend HE was a lighthouse. Callum Rock Lighthouse, even!


Sunday morning, after breaking camp, hiking the Ship Harbor trail right near the campground. One of our favorite walks. Flat, easy, and great for the kids. Small and beautiful treasures like this cove:



are a dime-a-dozen on Mt Desert Island. The place is crawling with picturesque, tranquil, and breathtaking surprises. You just have to pay attention and be mindful....

I love this picture of Callum and his buddy Caden playing on the rocks at the head of Ship Harbor....Sunday morning was what they call a 'typical' day in Downeast Maine: Foggy. Or, as the locals call it, "soupy." If I were a local, I would say that too. But, alas, I am and will always be a "flatlander." Callum really really looks up to Caden, copying everything his 'older' friend does....



And little Ms Maira Pie? Well she loves three things: The rocks, the ducks and seagulls, and TIDEPOOLS!! This girl LOVES splashing around in water....she puts her hands and her feet in little tidepools that remain on the rock crevices, dips, and bowls after the tide goes out...she splashes around and, in her words, 'cooks.' This was her second time at "Seawall" (whenever we go to Mount Desert Island, no matter WHAT part of the island we go to, we just call it SEAWALL. Some people say MDI, some say Downeast, some say Bar Harbor, some say Acadia National Park....we just say Seawall. We are downeast hipsters.....haha).


As I write this, the house, at 10:30, is dreadfully quiet. I am a bachelor for the next week. Amanda and the kids are in NJ, visiting family, and I am here: Tonight I had a coaches and parents meeting for XC, and double sessions begin early on Monday. I miss my family. But I have a feeling I have PLENTY to keep me busy!!

No comments: