Sunday, August 5, 2012

One last Mooselook post....


Just one more before I move on to other parts of our busy summer lives in Maine. In fact, today, we just got back from camping with the Fitzpatricks up in Bass Harbor (on Mt Desert Island). It has been a very busy busy summer. But soon it will all slow down because school will start....yeah right. But anyway, more to come on the camping trip soon.

Books were a main feature of our week at the cabin--for all parties involved. MeeMee and I both traded off on this anthology of Maine murder mysteries (we had a mini book club discussion on the dock...it was fun...I love talking about books with people...especially if I dont have to grade them after), and MeeMee read some other mystery she got at the library. BaBa read his 1674th book about the civil war/WorldWarII/history of submarines, Amanda blasted her way through Prisoner of Azkaban and started on Goblet of Crap (she is REreading the Harry Potter books....), and I finished my Murder On the Rocks mystery, a novel which took place right on Cranberry Island in the Gulf of Maine--then I started on a collection of essays by Robert Kimber called "A Place on the Water." Kimber is one of my favorite writers, but I hated this book. Callum and Maira were really into their Splat the Cat books, and Maira herself was into Biscuit the Dog books, and Callum was introduced to some Where's Waldo action! In addition to the reading, both kids were heavily into their "search and find" books, as well as their coloring/activity books. Below, Maira checks out Splish Splash Splat (such a great series) while MeeMee looks on.....


Maira, as I wrote before, had trouble with sleep during this week, and, most mornings, was up at 530 or 6. Let me just say that this was WELL before other people in the cabin woke up. So, some mornings, while Amanda and Callum and everyone else slept, Maira and I would take little walks on the camp road, in hopes of seeing a moose or a deer cross the dirt road or feed on the vegetation on the marshy sides. Alas, we saw no such animals, however we did get pretty heavy into picking wild raspberries and blueberries, which grew in the barrens on the side of the woodsy road.....


One morning "we" collected quite a bit in a zip lock bag I brought.....I probably would have had double the amount if my little friend here didnt eat most of them before I had a chance to put them in the bag (has anyone ever read Blueberries for Sal?? I think Maira is little Sal for sure....)


And a few pictures from the Kennebago trip we took....below illustrates some of those gravel bars and "islands" I spoke of in the last post. Amanda and I taught the kids how to skip rocks (I am better than Amanda). Maira just likes to drop big rocks in the water and laugh at the way they splash. I just like to do anything on the water....


A beautiful place with beautiful people.....

1 comment:

myeah said...

Blueberries for Sal, even.