Sunday, October 21, 2012

A Rainy Rainy Rainy Rainy Rainy Fall....

But a really nice (kind of) day today....but still so damn hot. I mean, I should not have worn shorts, a polo tshirt, and Tevas to church today...but I did. Very (almost) humid outside. And yucky. And wet. I need to mow the lawn probably two more times. But I could not today. Yesterday we had the Eastern Maine Regional XC championships, and both teams qualified for the state championships next weekend in Belfast! This is the second year in a row while I have been coaching that the boys made it....and the girls, who did not make it last year, qualified as a team. Very exciting. Our boys got fourth place in the meet overall.

Today after church we went to Agway to check out prices on some cultivators and hand tillers for the garden...and, naturally, Callum and Maira used some of their money to buy "animals." Callum bought a small pig and a small fox....and Maira got a horse which she named......wait for it......wait for it........Ashley.

Then we headed down the street to B&F Farm Stand and bought some gourds and mini pumpkins for the window boxes on the breezeway...and the kids picked out another big pumpkin to carve. Before heading home, we stopped over at Chris Bertoloccini (the other XC coach) house, since she has tons of trees in her yard, and she has been "vacuuming" up leaves with her special mower. She has about two dozen bags of leaves, so we took some, thinking I would use them as mulch for the garden, compost additions, and, of course, Scarecrow "meat." Callum and I hung out outside and built a pretty neat UNH Rugby Scarecrow.....and we messed around in the garden for bit, digging and tilling and getting it ready for winter, etc.

Maira played with the pumpkins, and she did one of her favorite things of late--singing a version of RingAroundtheRosy as she runs around the little oak tree we have in the front....

Watched the Pats (kind of) win a game against the Jets, ran five miles, iced and heated my shoulder, hung out laundry to dry, made a bean soup, and now, at 920, I think I might go read for a bit...I have been in a huge reading slump lately...everything I read seems to suck. Hopefully that will change.

And tomorrow is Monday and everything will start again.



UNH Rugby Practice Jersey Canoeist Scarecrow!!!!


What if the HOkey Pokey really IS what it's all about.....?

1 comment:

Nannie said...

Maira you look more and more like your daddy and auntie KK in your photos.

Nice scarecrow Callum...