Monday, October 15, 2012

I just spent

a good 25 minutes sitting, at my keyboard, with a pound of frozen corn on my shoulder, writing and scratching our lyrics to a song....

I am trying to get back into writing more music. This is something that, since having kids, has largely been absent from my life, and it is something that is definitely needed for my own emotional salvation.

I think that perhaps there is no one more underrated in the world than the lyric writer; I would argue that each one of us has a canon of at least ten songs that we identify with so deeply that, in many ways, though they were not written for us (in fact, they were written by someone who doesnt even know we exist) we hold onto them as if they were fallen icicles, almost-- so richly beautiful, yet fragile, and we need to hold them in our hand, but one false move or shift and they break or fall away.

Icicles dont exist for us, and neither do songs. They exist for someone else. They were made by someone else. And we steal them. And, in many cases, ruin them. Destroy them, even, with our meaningless drama and bullcrap.. I guess that is what I am trying to say here....

Maybe I will write a song about icicles. Just kidding.

Kind of.

We owe so much to lyric writers who have done things like, literally, saved us or enlivened our lives or helped us create and remember moments we cherish forever. I think of the greatest lyric and songwriters in the world: Sting, Adam Duritz, Tom Waits, James Taylor, John Mayer (yes, JOHN MAYER....amazing writer) and I am just floored that someone can be so in touch with the human condition.

I can only hope to do this with my lyrics. And I can only hope that someone finds them, like a fallen icicle.

Oh....and the frozen corn....yeah, so I fell down my stairs on Friday night and have mildy torn something in my shoulder (without going into specifics). I ice it like every 20 minutes for the rest of my life....

No comments: