Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Splat the Cat

A series of books the kids really really enjoy is Splat the Cat by a writer/illustrator named Rob Scotton. I have to admit--Splat is a pretty neat story and definitely an original character! I was talking books with my friend John the other day; John used to be a youth services librarian, and now he is like the President of the Milky Way Galaxy Library Association--but he still loves and appreciates kid stuff! Anyway, I wondered aloud how a book about "another" cat character could be even remotely successful in a market so deluged by cute and cliche animals. But then it dawned on me how differently unique Splat is!

Quick brainstorm (and I will do this 'live' too just to prove my point...): Name all the cats you can, off the top of your head, who are 'pop culture' characters. Garfield. Heathcliff. Puss in Boots. Morris. The Siamese cats in "Lady and the Tramp." Gargamel's cat Asrial on the smurfs. Misses Norris from Harry Potter books. Okay. That is all I can think of of the top of my head. My point is this: Cats, in literature, are totally arrogant, self serving, gluttonous, haughty jerks. The suck. They usually care nothing for anyone but themselves. This, I would argue, is how cats are "drawn" in pop culture. I mean, do you think Garfield gives a hoot about ANYTHING but his bed, lasagna, and annoying Odie? Morris was a gluttonous, careless, apathetic sloth who existed only to be fed. Asrial and Misses Norris sniffed out smurfs and third years at Hogwarts, in an effort to get them in some type of trouble. Heathcliff, I think, was a pimp of some kind.....

But consider lovable Splat. First of all, he is really cute. But he has absolutely no self confidence whatsoever. He is shy and reserved and fearful. His best friend is a mouse named Seymour. He is timid and considerate of other people's feelings. He leads his cat-school (along with teacher Mrs Wimpydimple) on a crusade to not only coexist but also befriend mice. He is, essentially, the anti-cat.. And my kids and I love him!  The illustrations are just fantastic and warm--the pictures have a 'soft' aura to them; they are gently drawn. And Splat deals with real issues pertinent to kids and their lives--and not in a way that is sappy, cliche, and, basically, lame. For example, he has swimming lessons. He has his first day of school. He has a playdate. He fears not being good enough to have earned a Christmas present (is this not the embodiment of humility!!??). If you have/know little people, get them some Splat!!

Also, FYI, also 'trending' and popular books in the Goldsmith house involve "Fancy Nancy" stuff (these are Maira's, but Callum loves them too!), all the Mo Willems 'pigeon' books (more to come on this and Callum, our budding illustrator, later), and, more recently, the "Llama Red Pajama" books.

But seriously: Try to think of a cat, personified in literature, advertising, etc, who is NOT a total tool in some way. I challenge you.



And that's one to grow on (da-da DA!)                                     (who got that??)

No comments: