Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Where's Winter?

 
I mean, it sure is cold enough out right now (my thermometer ways -3, currently). And, I guess, it 'has' been a cold winter, all things considered. And I love that. I love the cold. I love when the seasons do what they are supposed to do. But where is the snow? The winters in Maine continue to absolutely suck when it comes to snowfall--all we have is that nasty, Robert-Frost-'Patch-of-old-snow'-poem kind of crap on the ground.
 
You cant do anything with it. It is just there. If this snow were an athletic injury, it would be 'sprained ankle snow' in that it is incredibly annoying, it renders you basically useless, and there's nothing you can do about it, medically speaking, except wait, wait, wait, and be still. Screw that.
 
 
The climate definitely is changing. But I dont believe for one second we are responsible for it. Sorry liberals. I just dont. I, for one, think it is incredibly arrogant of us to think we are that powerful that we can influence the modes and patterns and tendencies of a cosmic planet. I mean, we can kill people and get away with it #shamlessRayLewisreference....but we're not THAT powerful....
 
 
So where is the damn snow?? And how come they can never predict snow correctly? Did you ever notice that they never mis-predict RAIN--in the summer, spring, fall, or winter. When they say RAIN, it RAINS. Why not the case with snow?  I think what angers me about the lack of snow is inherently a very modern American sentiment: Blame. I will admit that I am part of a culture who is always looking for a scapegoat. Right? We are a very 'the buck stops here' kind of people. We love venting our anger and frustration toward something or someone. Who do we blame with the weather? There is no one. Sure we can get mad at the bigdumbidiot weather people...but they are only the wrongful-messengers. At whom do we get mad when it just flat out doesnt snow? It is indeed nature's big joke and its reinforcing notion that it--NATURE--is in charge of nature, and there's not a damn thing we can do about it....so HA!
 
Here is Callum playing "pageant." Pageant is a Christmas-Nativity scene kind of play he likes to put on. Notice how he has baby Jesus in a cradle. HE is Joseph. He is leading a donkey (played by puppy) to Bethlehem....MY job was to be Mary, and he wanted me to ride on the back of pu....Donkey....myeah....
 
 
 

Today I came home from school to find the kids playing "prince and princess." They had made crowns and colored them in, etc. Maira is indeed a little princess....


Prince and Princess parade and dance-off, even!


And, finally, "putting Puppy to bed," with a nice story...I got some great video of Callum reciting this classic story virtually VERBATIM to his stuffed friend. Good times....



No comments: