Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Transitions

I never do well with 'transitions,' and this time of year is always a bittersweet one for me--we have begun cross country pre-season, and teachers report for the first day of school on Monday; I am excited for both XC and the school year to begin. However, it is always tough for me to end the summer and, in particular, end getting to be with my kids all day. Even though they drive me nuts most of the time (kidding...but not really...but kind of...) it is truly a blessing to get to be their dad each day. The adage is so true--the summer goes by WAYYY too fast, and I dont necessarily mind 'that' per se, but, rather, in retrospect, I always regret not living 'in the moment' enough, and questioning if I really have enjoyed the summer to the fullest, and been aware of all the awesomeness the ensued.

This school year will be a tough one for sure (I always say that I know). I will have more students (numbers-wise) than I have ever had in my whole career. I have a new intern for the fall. We have a new principal and a new athletic director. And we have 'lost,' essentially, two English positions (no one lost a job, thankfully, but people were shifted around, and the result is a tougher situation for the remaining English teachers)

From my point of view, now is an equally emotional time because I primarily teach 12th graders. All last year, I taught them and watched them grow (or not) and make some really tough decisions about where they were headed next. Then, on FB, all summer, I have seen them living it up, having fun, and enjoying their 'last summer.' Now, starting this week, they all begin the journey to college for the first time, and I can see and feel the emotion in their words, conversations we have, FB posts, emails, and more. It is is just extremely special and interesting (weak words I know) to teach seniors, graduate them, and watch them move onto the next step. Suffice to say I will be a WRECK when Callum and Maira leave home for the naval and air force academies (respectively).

I remember leaving for college VERY well, down to minor details I wont even write because my mom and dad think I make up details and stories for attention. But I even remember what I wore, if that isnt crazy enough! I remember seeing my dorm room for the first time, I remember my dad getting teary (but he gets teary if Maui is out of lobster sauce), and I remember going to bed that first night, all alone in Christensen Hall. Amazing amazing amazing memories I had, and amazing and precious these kids will have as well. I love 'seeing' their journeys.

Late last week Molly and Lauren Schassberger came by to say goodbye as they were leaving for college--Lauren, on the left, is starting year 2 at Davidson, and Molly, on the right, is going to be a freshman at Wesleyan, where she will run XC. Teaching involves so many blessings, but one of the big ones involves the relationships you get to make with just these humans as 'students' but also as 'people.' I am proud to say that I have some very very good 'friends' who are former students. And Amand and I love seeing Callum and Maira grow up around this kind of 'situation,' as we hope it will teach them positive life lessons about relationships and more!


And now for two completely random and unrelated things.....


I realized that we had a new roof put on the back dormer earlier this summer, and I forgot to put pictures to show my dad (and anyone else who is interested). We opted for the sheet metal, which is fun. So there is that.....

...and here is our wicked wicked crappy garden this year. Or our weed-den. Stuff in our yard just grows CRAZILY--and most of this involves weeds. Our tomatoes are almost silly. Gross. And now we are getting tons of cucumbers daily and squash (not 'summer' but butternut, acorn, etc) are starting to do better. Next year we are going to abandon this 'plot' and just do containers in the walkway. Hi.


No comments: